Carbon monoxide safety tips | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Carbon monoxide safety tips

staff

Provided by the Lake Valley Fire Department

Potential hazards for carbon monoxide formation:

— Anything that plugs the vent system. Wintertime snow accumulation can be a culprit.

— Vent pipes rusting through inside the building.

— A leaking heat exchanger in a furnace or space heater.

— Excessive caulking, insulation, or sealing can reduce the natural influx of fresh air and starve an appliance of oxygen, causing excessive levels of carbon monoxide to form.

— Improper air adjustment, wrong opening size, or misalignment within burner systems.

— Heating appliances with no vents.

— Electrical generators that are not exhausting to the outside. Possibly due to a build up of snow.

If carbon monoxide is suspected:

— Get everyone to fresh air immediately and call the fire department.

— Open windows and doors to air out the building.

— Turn off the suspected appliance.

— Seek medical assistance if any symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are present. Carbon monoxide is cumulative and stays in the blood system for up to six months.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User