Cavendish wins fifth stage at Tour de France
MONTARGIS, France – Britain’s Mark Cavendish broke down in tears after winning the fifth stage of the Tour de France on Thursday for his first victory in this year’s race.
The Briton, who won six stages last year and four in 2008, broke through in the 2010 edition on the mostly flat 116.3-mile trek from Epernay to Montargis. The main contenders for the overall title cruised home afterward in the pack, with the whole field clocking 4 hours, 30 minutes, 50 seconds.
The 25-year-old Cavendish thrust his arms skyward and hugged teammates in the winner’s circle after beating Gerald Ciolek of Germany and Norway’s Edvald Boasson Hagen.
Cavendish had faded in a sprint finish in Wednesday’s stage won by Italy’s Alessandro Petacchi, and bared his frustration by hurling his bike after the fourth stage.
“It’s incredible, it’s been a long time,” said Cavendish of his stage win. “Yesterday wasn’t that great for us. I let the guys down.”
Fabian Cancellara retained the leader’s yellow jersey, and the overall standings didn’t change. Defending champion Alberto Contador of Spain was 19th in the stage, and seven-time tour winner Lance Armstrong 30th.
Breaking down during a TV interview, after holding his face in his hands, HTC Columbia rider Cavendish admitted the “pressure was immense,” said he had “been through a helluva lot” and denied that he had thrown his bike down a day earlier.
“I just want to thank all the people who supported me,” he added.
Among the top contenders behind Cancellara, Cadel Evans of Australia holds third place, 39 seconds back, and last year’s runner-up Andy Schleck of Luxembourg is sixth, 1:09 back. Contador is ninth, 1:40 back, and United States rider Armstrong is 2:30 back in 18th.
The Tour ends July 25 in Paris.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
STATELINE, Nev. — Douglas County residents who replace their old wood-burning stoves through Nevada’s wintertime clean-heating rebate program can possibly save over $1,000.