Child burned in campfire fall | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Child burned in campfire fall

by Gregory Crofton, Tribune staff writer

A 3-year-old boy burned his hands Friday night after he tripped and fell hands- first into a bed of hot embers left from a campfire.

His family had been roasting marshmallows over the dying fire at Zephyr Cove Campground before the boy, who was reportedly running around near the fire, fell onto the embers and got third-degree burns on his palms and second-degree burns on his fingers.

“They were severe burns,” said Tahoe-Douglas Fire Protection District Battalion Chief Rick Nicholson. “Third-degree on hands are severe especially for a child like that. I don’t think it’s life threatening. It’s severe just because of where it’s located.”



The boy’s parents immediately dunked his hands in ice water and drove him to Tahoe-Douglas fire station arriving at 9:30 p.m. An ambulance took 3-year-old to South Lake Tahoe Airport to met a Calstar helicopter. Around 10 p.m he was flown to the Pediatric Burn Center at University of California Hospital at Davis.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User