Comedy at The Improv with Howie Nave: Allan Havey, Dana Eagle and Rick D’Elia perform this week at Lake Tahoe |

Comedy at The Improv with Howie Nave: Allan Havey, Dana Eagle and Rick D’Elia perform this week at Lake Tahoe

Howie Nave
Special to Lake Tahoe Action
Allan Havey, left, and Dana Eagle, right, pictured with Howie Nave, perform at The Improv this week.
Courtesy Photo |

Allan Havey

Havey is one of those guys you look forward to having up here whenever possible, and he’s certainly been all over television and the internet’s more popular shows. This past year alone he made appearances on HBO’s comedy series “Crashing,” Showtime’s “Billions” and Amazon Studios’ “Bosch.” Last year he was on the television series “2 Broke Girls” and “Code Black.”

Many of his recent credits can be attributed to his run on AMC’s dramatic and successful series “Mad Men,” where he played Lou Avery for the final two seasons. That led to more appearances for Havey, who then performed in the The Coen Brothers’ movie “Hail, Caesar!” and the Judd Apatow television series “Love.”

Havey’s other shows include Louis C.K.‘s “Louie,” Larry David’s “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” “Conan,” Comedy Central, NBC’s “The Office” and 10 appearances on “The Late Show with David Letterman.” His movie credits include “Top Five” (written and directed by Chris Rock), “Hancock” starring Will Smith, “The Informant!” with Matt Damon, “Internal Affairs” with Richard Gere and Andy Garcia, “Checking Out” with Jeff Daniels, “Rounders” (again with Damon) and “Wild Things 2” with Isaiah Washington.

Whenever Havey isn’t up for an audition and is available, I get to call him Monday mornings during my radio show for a segment we call “Howiewood & Haveywood,” in which we talk movies, television and other topics related to the entertainment industry.

On stage Havey’s shows are always solid, and he has top improvisational skills. His comedy is always fresh and original, and has been showcased at numerous comedy festivals all over the world. I predict Havey’s final frontier will be to appear on Broadway — I think of him as both an actor and a fine comedian.

Dana Eagle

My favorite gay, bipolar Jew with a lazy eye (as she refers to herself) returns, and she’s now an author as well as a comedian: She recently released a book called “How to Be Depressed: A Guide.”

I first saw Dana Eagle on NBC’s “Last Comic Standing” a few years ago. One of her strongest points is her offbeat view of life: As she says, “Studies now show that 80 percent of us suffer from depression and that the other 20 percent of you cause it.” Her humor hits the right nerves, and she’s popular with college, nightclub, television and concert audiences alike.

In addition to her stint on “Last Comic Standing,” Eagle has also appeared on Byron Allen’s “Comics Unleashed,” “The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson,” Comedy Central and on Showtime, where she was commissioned to write and film her own comic interstitials for their premier channel, ShowNEXT.

Eagle also shot a pilot for E! Entertainment, another for ABC (with Jason Alexander) and was showcased in HBO’s U.S. Comedy Arts Festival for her solo show, “Stones From Glass Houses.” She followed that up with an appearance in the series “Mood Disorders: A Light-Hearted Romp Through Crippling Depression.” She was also part of the comedy troupe Three Hysterical Broads Off Their Medication.

The comedian is now a Thursday regular on my morning radio show with her new segment “Mood Swings with Dana Eagle.” Think of it as therapy over the airwaves.

Eagle is relatable likely because she was an outsider during her schools years and didn’t really fit in, so comedy worked out as a way to cope. According to Eagle, “When you don’t have a lot of friends growing up, the seesaw is just a really low bench.”

Fortunately for us, the New Jersey native found the perfect outlet and the rest of us get to benefit from her wicked sense of humor.

Rick D’Elia

This week’s host is Rick D’Elia, who is not shy about his Boston roots: He possesses that East Coast edge that makes his comedy non-politically correct. D’Elia appeared as a sketch performer on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” and has appeared on “Stand-up Stand-up,” “America’s Talking,” Grand Slam Comedy Jam, “The Naked Truth” and “Inside the Extras Studio.”

D’Elia also works behind the camera producing, writing and directing shows on Showtime such as “Going Native,” “Green Collar Comedy Show” and “The Godfathers of Comedy.” He also directed, wrote and co-hosted the “Half Hour Happy Hour,” a former late night comedy show on the CW Network in northern Nevada and California.

The Improv at Harveys takes place Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays at 9 p.m. Two shows are held on Saturdays at 8:30 and 10:30 p.m. Learn more at

Support Local Journalism

Your support means a better informed community. Donate today.