Council considers fate of city-owned Ski Run lots | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Council considers fate of city-owned Ski Run lots

Jim Grant / Tahoe Daily Tribune
ALL |

South Lake Tahoe City Council members on Tuesday decided to take a closer look at an empty lot at the corner of Ski Run Boulevard and Highway 50 to determine what the best use would be for the property.

Then, developers will be asked for proposals to make that best use a reality. The 66,000-square-foot lot is at the southwest corner of the intersection.

The land is owned by South Tahoe Redevelopment Agency, and the council had been considering selling it to raise funds for a new city hall.



But Redevelopment Director Gene Palazzo on Tuesday convinced the council to keep ownership of the lot, while seeking someone to develop it.

Developing the lot would bring more revenue to the city and give a boost to the burgeoning Ski Run Boulevard business district, he said.



“We need to make that corner pop,” Palazzo told the council. “We need to make it very lively.”

A drug store chain has been interested in the corner for years, and still is eyeing the property, Palazzo said. Whether the council regards that as the best use for the land remains to be seen.

Councilman Bill Crawford suggested that Palazzo gather ideas for the lot from members of the Ski Run Business Improvement District.

Palazzo said he will do that, and he’ll also talk to the owner of the Ski Run Marina and review results of a recent community survey for ideas for the land.

The redevelopment director said he hopes to bring the issue back to the council before the end of the year.

The Redevelopment Agency owns another parcel on Ski Run Boulevard, about 22,500 square feet at Paradise Avenue. Councilman Hal Cole asked that the Paradise lot be evaluated separately from the land at Highway 50, to see if there’s a way to improve the appearance of a retention basin there.

The council approved route and fare changes for the BlueGO bus system.

Service reductions are needed because the authority overseeing BlueGO is facing a $500,000 shortfall for the next fiscal year.

The route changes will take effect Sept. 6.

David Kelly, representing the Tahoe Area Coordinating Council for the Disabled, said bus riders he has talked to are frustrated that BlueGOis changing its routes again.

The bus system overhauled its routes in November.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


News

California reveals data used to lift stay-at-home order

|

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — California lifted regional stay-at-home orders across the state Monday in response to improving coronavirus conditions, returning the state to a system of county-by-county restrictions, state health officials announced.



See more