Crew responds to burning links | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Crew responds to burning links

Using a chain saw to cut a wooden fence, firefighters drove across the fairway of hole No. 5 at Bijou Golf Course to extinguish a small grass fire reportedly caused by a discarded cigarette.

Units from South Lake Tahoe Fire Department and the U.S. Forest Service arrived at the scene shortly after 9:30 a.m. Wednesday to douse the area with water. The scene was cleared about an hour later.

SLTFD Capt. Steve Lang said the fire, about 15-by-15, was dangerous because it had a good chance of burning underneath the dry and brittle grass which provided temporary fuel for the fire.



Fires can exist for days underground and spark yards away from the origin.

Lang guessed somebody discarded a cigarette the night before, it was left smoldering and ignited by the sun’s rays.




King McCarthy from South Lake Tahoe was golfing on No. 5 with three friends while firefighters were busy saturating and shoveling the hot spot. McCarthy said numerous people walk near the area for a shortcut or to look for golf balls.

Preparing to tee off, he said he didn’t mind the crews.

“The wind is messing me up more,” he said.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


News


See more