Authorities arrest person of interest in Stateline homicide
November 27, 2017
Authorities have arrested a person of interest — a previously deported ex-felon — in connection with an October homicide at a Stateline casino.
The University of Nevada Reno Police Department arrested Jose DeJesus Rodriguez-Quezada on Wednesday, Nov. 22, in Sparks, Nevada, after receiving reports of a suspicious person sleeping on a sidewalk near the UNR Agricultural Ranch area on east McCarran Boulevard, according to the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office.
In late October, Rodriguez-Quezada was identified as a person of interest in the killing of Kevin LeRoy Edwards, who was found dead inside a room at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino on Oct. 3.
The subsequent investigation determined Edwards, 56, was the victim of a homicide. His vehicle was stolen and eventually found abandoned in Wadsworth, Nevada — approximately 88 miles from Stateline.
After making contact, UNR police determined Rodriguez-Quezada, a previously deported ex-felon, was in possession of a concealed weapon, according to the Douglas department.
Rodriguez-Quezada was arrested for charges of: ex-felon in possession of a firearm; carrying a concealed weapon without a permit; and obstructing a public officer.
Recommended Stories For You
Rodriguez-Quezada also was arrested on an outstanding warrant from the state of Washington and a hold that Immigration and Customs Enforcement placed on him.
The investigation of Edwards’ slaying is ongoing.
Trending In: Crime & Fire
- Police: Undercover operation breaks up Lake Tahoe drug ring
- Law enforcement searching for suspect in Stateline vehicle theft
- South Lake Tahoe man jailed after allegedly selling pot to minors
- South Lake Tahoe Police Department IDs detectives in officer-involved shooting
- Sierra House Elementary School classroom sustains ‘major damage’ in fire
- TMZ: Tom Cruise in South Lake Tahoe to film scenes for ‘Top Gun’ sequel
- Backcountry skier rescued near Mount Tallac after falling over 200 feet (video)
- Realtor group vows to stay involved, looks ‘forward to continued discussion’ following passage of Measure T
- Lake Tahoe weather: Sunny conditions through weekend, snow possible next week
- Sierra snowpack well above average after storms