Authorities ID South Lake Tahoe man found dead on roadside
February 26, 2018
An autopsy is planned for a South Lake Tahoe man who was found dead on the side of a road Sunday morning.
Authorities responded to Emerald Bay Road just north of B Street around 6:40 a.m. Sunday, according to Lt. David Stevenson with the South Lake Tahoe Police Department.
When police arrived they found a deceased man in the area next to the travel lane heading toward the Y from the Meyers area.
Sgt. Anthony Prencipe with the El Dorado County Sheriff's Office identified the man as 55-year-old Douglas Knapp, of South Lake Tahoe.
The cause of death is unknown but there is no indication that Knapp was hit by a vehicle, Stevenson said, adding there is nothing that would indicate foul play.
The South Lake Tahoe Police Department did have previous contacts with Knapp.
Recommended Stories For You
Stevenson did not know if Knapp was a member of the local homeless population. The temperature recorded at Lake Tahoe Airport was 3 degrees at 5:53 a.m. Sunday.
Prencipe said an autopsy is planned.
The investigation will remain open until a cause of death is determined, Stevenson stated.
Trending In: Crime & Fire
- Authorities ID man who may have drowned in Lake Tahoe
- Missing hiker found after spending night in Lake Tahoe backcountry
- Two sought in bear spray robbery at Lake Tahoe casino
- Motorhome chase starts at Lake Tahoe, ends in Gardnerville wreck (updated)
- UPDATE: Washoe County deputy arrests suspect in Incline Village bank robbery
- DA: Former Lake Tahoe Humane Society director pleads guilty to embezzlement (updated)
- Traps reignite controversy over Nevada Department of Wildlife bear management
- Douglas County conducts online survey on vacation home rentals
- Ken’s Tires Center celebrates 40 years in South Lake Tahoe
- Incline Flume Trail at Lake Tahoe nears completion