Authorities ID South Lake Tahoe man found dead on roadside
February 26, 2018
An autopsy is planned for a South Lake Tahoe man who was found dead on the side of a road Sunday morning.
Authorities responded to Emerald Bay Road just north of B Street around 6:40 a.m. Sunday, according to Lt. David Stevenson with the South Lake Tahoe Police Department.
When police arrived they found a deceased man in the area next to the travel lane heading toward the Y from the Meyers area.
Sgt. Anthony Prencipe with the El Dorado County Sheriff's Office identified the man as 55-year-old Douglas Knapp, of South Lake Tahoe.
The cause of death is unknown but there is no indication that Knapp was hit by a vehicle, Stevenson said, adding there is nothing that would indicate foul play.
The South Lake Tahoe Police Department did have previous contacts with Knapp.
Recommended Stories For You
Stevenson did not know if Knapp was a member of the local homeless population. The temperature recorded at Lake Tahoe Airport was 3 degrees at 5:53 a.m. Sunday.
Prencipe said an autopsy is planned.
The investigation will remain open until a cause of death is determined, Stevenson stated.
Trending In: Crime & Fire
- South Lake Tahoe man jailed after allegedly selling pot to minors
- Police: Undercover operation breaks up Lake Tahoe drug ring
- South Lake Tahoe Police Department IDs detectives in officer-involved shooting
- Sierra House Elementary School classroom sustains ‘major damage’ in fire
- Crime spree in Nevada preceded motorcycle shootout near South Lake Tahoe
- Rain, snow in forecast for Lake Tahoe; expect Thanksgiving travel delays in northern Sierra
- ELECTION UPDATE: Measure T’s lead falls to 47 votes in South Lake Tahoe
- Rollover on US 50 near Cave Rock
- 9 Lake Tahoe restaurants serving Thanksgiving Day dinner
- Kirkwood Mountain Resort changes opening day from Wednesday to Saturday