Gardnerville man held in sexual assault of child
October 2, 2014
If allegations of sexual assault and lewdness with a minor are proven against a Gardnerville man, he could face life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Miguel Briones Gutierrez, 34, appeared in East Fork Justice Court on Wednesday with his attorney, Derrick Lopez, and an interpreter.
Lopez confirmed the case could result in a life sentence.
Gutierrez is accused of molesting an 11-year-old child. He is being held in Douglas County jail on $250,000 bail.
Lopez said his client was seeking a speedy preliminary hearing. Perkins set a Oct. 10 preliminary hearing where prosecutors will have to present evidence that a crime had been committed and that Gutierrez could have committed it. Should East Fork Justice of the Peace Tom Perkins find that a crime was committed, Gutierrez would face a jury in district court.
Perkins told Lopez that he funding was authorized to pay for an interpreter when talking to Gutierrez.
Recommended Stories For You
Perkins asked Lopez if he was going to seek co-counsel in the case. Lopez said he was waiting until he got all the reports to make a decision.
Trending In: Crime & Fire
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- Sustainable Community Alliance submits signatures for initiative to maintain South Lake Tahoe VHR cap
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe
- South Lake Tahoe police investigating robbery at credit union
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line