Heavy snow causes 2 gas leaks in 24 hours in South Lake Tahoe
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. — Recent snow caused two gas leaks in 24 hours.
South Lake Tahoe Fire Rescue crews responded Wednesday morning to a second gas leak in 24 hours. The cause, according to a press release from the city, was snow piled on the meters.
The occurrence is not unusual, but it is preventable.
“This is an easy thing to do, and something people often forget,” said Jeff Meston, SLTFR fire chief, said in a press release. “A build-up of snow and ice puts additional pressure on the meter and can cause leaks inside your home. It’s a situation that could turn dangerous very quickly.”
SLTFR recommends using a broom, snow brush or your hands to remove snow and ice from your gas meter. Don’t ever strike your gas meter to remove ice and snow, the city cautions.
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User