McFlurry leads to arrest
November 5, 2014
A McDonald's "McFlurry" landed a man in jail on Sunday when police were able track him down after he allegedly burglarized a motel.
The arrest occurred after police reportedly saw the suspect, Louis Fiori Jr., on surveillance footage forcing open the locked front door of The Trailhead Lodge and stealing from the cash drawer behind the employee counter on Thursday after business hours,according to a South Lake Tahoe Police Department (SLTPD) press release.
During the alleged burglary Fiori was seen on surveillance carrying a "McFlurry" ice cream. After reviewing the evidence, SLTPD Officer Mark Hounsell went to McDonald's to review surveillance footage and saw Fiori on video moments prior to the burglary wearing the same clothes as seen on the burglary footage. On the McDonald's video, Fiori was reportedly eating a "McFlurry" and filling out a job application.
Officers collected Fiori's job application and were able to identify him. The officers attempted to find Fiori at the time but were unsuccessful.
On Sunday, investigators found Fiori back at McDonald's where he was interviewed and subsequently arrested on a burglary charge.
Police do not believe the burglary is related to other burglaries previously reported in the area of the "Y."
Trending In: Crime & Fire
- $10,000 reward offered in Douglas County homicides
- Two dead in Topaz Lake boating incident
- Douglas County Sheriff’s Office dedicates hotline to tips regarding homicides
- South Lake Tahoe police: Man arrested after attempting to steal off-duty firefighter’s car
- Police: Undercover operation breaks up Lake Tahoe drug ring
- Weather service: ‘Life threatening’ conditions persist at Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Moderate snow to start Tuesday; storms could bring over 3 feet
- UPDATE: Chain requirements in effect on most Lake Tahoe area highways
- UPDATE: Douglas County homicides determined not related to El Dorado case
- Sierra Avalanche Center issues backcountry avalanche watch for Lake Tahoe region