South Lake Tahoe Fire Rescue: Barbecue briquettes cause small structure fire
July 15, 2017
South Lake Tahoe Fire Rescue is reminding barbecuers to properly extinguish briquettes, after some of the charcoal bricks caused a small structure fire.
SLTFR responded to a structure fire that originated in an outbuilding behind 2649 Kubel Ave., according to a Facebook post Saturday. The fire was extinguished and the cause was determined to be discarded briquettes left outside near the shed.
That led SLTFR to issue the following statement: “Extinguish your briquettes before you discard them.”
SLTFR also posted the following steps for ensuring that the briquettes are properly disposed of:
Soak the charcoal briquettes in water for 20 minutes to 1 hour.
Wrap the soaked briquettes in a non-combustible material or container.
Recommended Stories For You
Place into the regular trash.
Trending In: Crime & Fire
- Attorney: Incline Village man has cooperated with authorities in child abuse investigation (updated)
- South Lake Tahoe police investigating robbery at credit union
- Small fire burning on Lake Tahoe East Shore
- South Lake Tahoe police ask for help in identifying driver in hit-and-run
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Lime electric scooters pose challenges for South Lake Tahoe law enforcement
- Contractor damaged land in Emerald Bay; former employee considering lawsuit
- Former Scripps/Howard estate on Lake Tahoe East Shore hits market for $35 million (video)
- Lake Tahoe elected officials fight for return of Sacramento NBC affiliate KCRA
- Guest column: A VHR owner’s perspective on what is happening in South Lake Tahoe (opinion)