South Lake Tahoe Fire Rescue: Barbecue briquettes cause small structure fire
July 15, 2017
South Lake Tahoe Fire Rescue is reminding barbecuers to properly extinguish briquettes, after some of the charcoal bricks caused a small structure fire.
SLTFR responded to a structure fire that originated in an outbuilding behind 2649 Kubel Ave., according to a Facebook post Saturday. The fire was extinguished and the cause was determined to be discarded briquettes left outside near the shed.
That led SLTFR to issue the following statement: “Extinguish your briquettes before you discard them.”
SLTFR also posted the following steps for ensuring that the briquettes are properly disposed of:
Soak the charcoal briquettes in water for 20 minutes to 1 hour.
Wrap the soaked briquettes in a non-combustible material or container.
Recommended Stories For You
Place into the regular trash.
Trending In: Crime & Fire
- Police: Undercover operation breaks up Lake Tahoe drug ring
- Law enforcement searching for suspect in Stateline vehicle theft
- South Lake Tahoe Police Department IDs detectives in officer-involved shooting
- South Lake Tahoe man jailed after allegedly selling pot to minors
- Sierra House Elementary School classroom sustains ‘major damage’ in fire
- Lake Tahoe weather: Sunny conditions through weekend, snow possible next week
- Realtor group vows to stay involved, looks ‘forward to continued discussion’ following passage of Measure T
- Kirkwood Mountain to open backside, Heavenly Mountain to open California side Saturday
- FINAL ELECTION RESULTS: Measure T passes in South Lake Tahoe
- Sierra snowpack well above average after storms