South Lake Tahoe Fire Rescue: Barbecue briquettes cause small structure fire
July 15, 2017
South Lake Tahoe Fire Rescue is reminding barbecuers to properly extinguish briquettes, after some of the charcoal bricks caused a small structure fire.
SLTFR responded to a structure fire that originated in an outbuilding behind 2649 Kubel Ave., according to a Facebook post Saturday. The fire was extinguished and the cause was determined to be discarded briquettes left outside near the shed.
That led SLTFR to issue the following statement: “Extinguish your briquettes before you discard them.”
SLTFR also posted the following steps for ensuring that the briquettes are properly disposed of:
Soak the charcoal briquettes in water for 20 minutes to 1 hour.
Wrap the soaked briquettes in a non-combustible material or container.
Recommended Stories For You
Place into the regular trash.
Trending In: Crime & Fire
- Authorities ID man who may have drowned in Lake Tahoe
- El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office IDs bodies recovered from Fallen Leaf Lake
- Two sought in bear spray robbery at Lake Tahoe casino
- Missing hiker found after spending night in Lake Tahoe backcountry
- Sheriff’s office: Body of missing kayaker recovered from Lake Tahoe near Emerald Bay
- El Dorado County supervisor candidates find some common ground on VHR regulations
- Authorities recover body from 1,062 feet in Lake Tahoe (updated)
- What lies in the depths of Lake Tahoe’s waters? (video)
- Whittell celebrates Lisa Maloff, football team crushes Smith Valley at new digs
- Referendum backers submit signatures; South Lake Tahoe marijuana regulations delayed (updated)