South Lake Tahoe man receives maximum sentences
October 25, 2017
A South Lake Tahoe man received the maximum sentence of 34 months on charges of uttering a forged instrument and possession of a controlled substance.
John R. Liska, 37, was arrested on Aug. 29 for residential burglary with unlawful entry, uttering of a forged instrument, synthetic controlled substance possession, possession of a controlled substance, possession of a hypodermic needle, trafficking and three counts of possession of marijuana.
At 8:30 p.m. officers responded to a call from Lakeside Inn in Stateline in reference to a subject detained for attempting to use a fraudulent check. Deputies made contact with Liska on scene, who admitted trying to use the check and knowing it was fraudulent. Liska was arrested.
According to reports, deputies searched Liska’s backpack at the jail and found 0.3 grams of methamphetamine, 0.3 grams of black tar heroin, 8 grams of heroin smoked cotton tips, one hypodermic needle and multiple drug paraphernalia.
In court, Liska’s defense attorney, Kris Brown said Liska was not trying to sell the heroin smoked cotton tips, he was instead saving them for himself to use later.
Brown said Liska’s problem is completely related to personal use. She also expressed Liska’s desire to get better and cure his addiction to heroin.
Recommended Stories For You
She said heroin had led to Liska serving substantial time in custody, alienating his family and being unemployed. Liska did not address the court.
Judge Thomas Gregory sentenced Liska to 34 months in prison with parole eligibility after 12 months on the count of uttering a forged instrument and another 34 months for count two of possession of a controlled substance with parole eligibility of 12 months.
The sentences are to run concurrently with each other.
Trending In: Crime & Fire
- Two dead in Topaz Lake boating incident
- $10,000 reward offered in Douglas County homicides
- South Lake Tahoe police: Man arrested after attempting to steal off-duty firefighter’s car
- Truckee fire truck stolen, involved in collision shortly after
- Douglas County Sheriff’s Office dedicates hotline to tips regarding homicides
- Lake Tahoe weather: Several feet of snow possible at Lake Tahoe this week
- Cannabis oil extraction lab causes fire, explosions at South Lake Tahoe home
- Lake Tahoe weather: Moderate snow to start Tuesday; storms could bring over 3 feet
- Opening of Renoagogo brings chain store goods to North Lake Tahoe
- Trash building up at popular Lake Tahoe sledding site