Truckee 7-Eleven reopens Tuesday morning after early Sunday fire
TRUCKEE, Calif. — No one was hurt in an early Sunday morning fire at the 7-Eleven store on Palisades Drive, officials said.
Damage was contained to the 7-Eleven portion of the strip-mall-like building at 10015 Palisades Drive, which houses several other businesses, according to the Truckee Fire Protection District.
Truckee Fire spokesman Paul Spencer said the fire started outside of the building and was fed at times by natural gas.
The only person inside when the fire was reported at about 1:35 a.m. was a 7-Eleven employee, Spencer said.
Crews had the fire extinguished in about an hour, he said, adding that he estimates the building sustained $50,000 to $60,000 in damage.
The store was closed for cleanup before reopening at about 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, said David Turnquist, the franchisee for the Palisades 7-Eleven.
Turnquist said he had to discard roughly $5,000 to $10,000 worth of product and food, including frozen goods, produce, sandwiches and beer.
“I had to throw away a lot of retail … the floor was flooded, so anything that was in the water had to go,” he said Tuesday morning. “Plus, the freezers were down, and (there was) smoke (damage) … I’ve had to throw away a lot of beer, because some was sitting in cooler on floor, and it got water damage.”
Truckee Fire, Calfire and the Northstar and Squaw Valley fire districts responded to Sunday’s fire, while Truckee Police managed traffic.
“It was really nice that the fire department responded so quickly, because it had the potential of setting the forest on fire,” Turnquist said. “It was going pretty good.”
Turnquist has a long history in Truckee. His family started the 7-Eleven franchise in town with the Donner Pass Road location in 1973.
He bought that store from his parents in 1994 before selling it a couple years ago. The Palisades location, meanwhile, opened in 1983, Turnquist said, and he took over ownership in 1996.
Since news spread of Sunday’s fire, Turnquist said many community members have reached out to him and the employees — who worked Sunday and Monday to help clean the store — to which he was very thankful.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User