UPDATE: Law enforcement says ‘suspicious death’ in Tahoma a homicide
February 12, 2018
An incident previously described as a “suspicious death” on Lake Tahoe’s West Shore has been ruled a homicide by detectives, according to the El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office.
Authorities apprehended 47-year-old Jeremy David Virgo Sunday, Feb. 11, after a brief pursuit that ended at Homewood Mountain Resort. On Monday the sheriff’s office announced Virgo had been arrested for murder.
Sgt. Anthony Prencipe added that the victim’s identity was being withheld until next of kin were notified.
As previously reported, sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to the area of Timber Wolf Drive and Alder Street in Tahoma around 12:40 p.m. Sunday, according to the El Dorado County Sheriff's Office. A deputy heard gunshots.
The sheriff’s office stated Sunday that those gunshots came from the area of a known felon's address, although Prencipe on Monday could not confirm if Virgo was that known felon.
Shortly after, Virgo was seen leaving the home. Law enforcement initiated a pursuit and he was eventually taken into custody by Placer County deputies.
Recommended Stories For You
A welfare check was conducted back at the original address and authorities discovered a dead body inside the home.
Prencipe on Monday confirmed that Virgo is a Tahoma resident, although he did not know if the home where the body was found belonged to Virgo.
Virgo is being held at the El Dorado County jail in South Lake Tahoe, according to jail records.
Trending In: Crime & Fire
- Police: Undercover operation breaks up Lake Tahoe drug ring
- Missing Alpine County hiker’s body found at base of cliff
- South Lake Tahoe man jailed after allegedly selling pot to minors
- Law enforcement searching for suspect in Stateline vehicle theft
- South Lake Tahoe Police Department IDs detectives in officer-involved shooting
- TMZ: Tom Cruise in South Lake Tahoe to film scenes for ‘Top Gun’ sequel
- Backcountry skier rescued near Mount Tallac after falling over 200 feet (video)
- Chance of rain, snow at Lake Tahoe this week
- Seasonal overnight shelter, the Warm Room, to open in South Lake Tahoe for 2018-19 season
- South Lake Tahoe clerk: No recount request for Measure T