Crime log: Discarded cigarette butt starts fire
A storage shed caught fire on the corner of Aspen and Pioneer Trail Sunday morning, causing about $500 damage and threatened the destruction of musical instruments inside, a South Lake Tahoe Fire Department captain said.
Capt. Steve Lang’s fire crew responded to the scene around 11 a.m. and found the landlord spraying the inside of the shed with a garden hose, Lang said.
The preliminary cause of the fire is a discarded cigarette that ignited duff below the shed, Lang said.
A single-family dwelling behind the shed had about $400 in damages, Lang guessed.
In other news:
— A small blue bag was found floating in Lake Tahoe by a beachcomber at Regan Beach on Sunday. The bag reportedly had a white, rocky, unknown substance, a South Lake Tahoe police officer said. The substance was tested, determined to be not an illegal substance and was booked for destruction, the officer said.
— An unknown suspect cut a window screen to gain access to the front door of a residence on Carson Avenue, a South Lake Tahoe police officer said.
More than $2,000 in goods was stolen in the Friday burglary including a Sony stereo, video cassette recorder and jewelry, police said.
— A 39-year-old Elk Grove man was arrested on suspicion of concealing a weapon in a vehicle when a .25-caliber pistol was found inside his vehicle, a South Lake Tahoe police officer said.
Authorities responded to the 1000 block of Julie Lane on Friday when people saw men carry a large knife between two cars, police said.
— Parents of children shooting a pellet gun outside a window on Willow Avenue said they would pay for the cracked windshield of a passing motorist, a South Lake Tahoe police officer said.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. — A flash flood watch has been issued for the Lake Tahoe Basin.