Douglas releases information about parking garage shooting
On Friday night at approximately 9:30 pm, nearly a dozen Douglas County Sheriff’s deputies responded to the parking garage at Harveys Casino in Stateline in reference to a reported fight and possible shooting between two small groups of rival males.
Responding officers arrived and learned that two rival groups of young males, approximately four to five males in each group, had engaged in a verbal and physical fight on the first floor of the parking garage at Harveys Casino. The fight culminated when one of the involved males retrieved a shotgun from an unknown location and discharged the weapon toward the other group of rival males. At that time, all involved parties from the two groups ran away on foot in separate directions.
The parking garage was cordoned off, and deputies began a search of the garage and surrounding area for involved parties, witnesses and evidence.
Three subjects who matched the description of possible involved parties were detained in South Lake Tahoe, Calif., approximately one quarter mile from the location of the shooting.
One of the detained males was identified as 18-year-old Gary Trader, a resident of South Lake Tahoe. Trader was identified as the victim of the gunshot incident. Trader had been hit in the left cheek, left side of his neck, and left shoulder by shotgun pellets. Paramedics were called to render medical assistance to Trader, however Trader refused emergency medical treatment on scene.
When interviewed, Trader told officers that he and his friends had been walking from Horizon Casino towards Harveys Casino, in Stateline when they were confronted by a group of approximately five Hispanic males. A verbal altercation took place between the two groups, and a physical fight ensued. Trader said that after a brief fight with the Hispanic males, the rival group broke contact and ran away, west on Hwy 50, entering the lower-level of Harveys Casino parking garage.
Trader said he and his friends chased the other subjects into the lower-level of the parking garage. While in the garage looking for the other group of males, Trader heard someone yell, “he’s got a gun.” Trader stated he immediately heard a loud gunshot, and he felt his neck and face sting “like being stung by a bee”. Trader and his friends immediately fled the parking garage, and ran to South Lake Tahoe where they were eventually located and detained by officers of the South Lake Tahoe Police Department.
Trader stated he never saw a firearm, or anyone who brandished it; he only heard the loud discharge of the weapon and the ensuing “sting” of being hit by shotgun pellets.
Trader said he recognized one of the involved rival males, and he believes the male may be a member of a local Hispanic gang, out of Carson City.
The other two males with Trader at the time of this investigation were identified as eighteen year-old John Alfert, and a 16 year-old male, both residents of South Lake Tahoe.
Both Alfert and the juvenile male were questioned regarding this incident. They provided information substantiating Trader’s statement.
The other involved parties in this incident have not yet been identified or contacted. The firearm used in the incident has not been recovered. The investigation is continuing. Additional information will be released as it becomes available.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident, or persons with additional information to provide regarding this incident, are asked to call Investigator Greg Rooney at (775)782-9926 or the Douglas County Communications Center at (775)782-9911. Information can also be reported anonymously via the Secret Witness Program at (775)78-CRIME.
Sgt James Halsey
Douglas County Sheriff’s Office
Admin Sergeant / Public Information Officer
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
STATELINE, Nev. — Douglas County residents who replace their old wood-burning stoves through Nevada’s wintertime clean-heating rebate program can possibly save over $1,000.