DRI Graduate granted Sierra Pacific Fellowship for Lake Tahoe research | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

DRI Graduate granted Sierra Pacific Fellowship for Lake Tahoe research

Lesley Jones, a graduate research assistant at the Desert Research Institute, has been awarded the 2001 Sierra Pacific Power Co. Fellowship to conduct research at Lake Tahoe.

The fellowship provides a one-year award of $16,000, an office at DRI, and use of the Institute’s computer and laboratory, a statement released by DRI said.

Jones’ research will focus on microbial transformation of of nitrogen in Lake Tahoe. Jones, who is also a student in the Environmental Sciences and Health graduate program at the University of Nevada, Reno, will work under the supervision of Chris Fritsen, faculty member in DRI’s Division of Earth and Ecosystems Sciences, the statement said.



Jones is the eighth graduate student to receive the Sierra Pacific Fellowship. The fellowship is awarded competitively, with applications awarded by a committee of DRI and UNR faculty, as well as by a representative of Sierra Pacific Power.

The DRI is a nonprofit, statewide division of University and Community College of Nevada and offers a full-time program of basic and applied environmental research on a local, national and international scale. More than 80 percent of DRI’s annual $26 million operating budget consists of research grants and contracts obtained by its scientists. The state of Nevada pays for the remaining 20 percent administrative costs.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


News


See more