East Coast theme at Improv with Fitzsimmons, Eagle | TahoeDailyTribune.com

East Coast theme at Improv with Fitzsimmons, Eagle

How many times are you going to use that cat litter bit? Greg Fitzsimmons, right, consoles Improv host Howie Nave after a rough performance at Harveys Resort and Casino.

Award-winning comedian, writer and multiple Emmy winner Greg Fitzsimmons returns to the Improv after a long absence.

The headliner through Sunday night at Harveys has quite a bit going on these days, so it’s a surprise he was able to put aside a whole week for us. Greg hosts a popular radio show on Howard Stern’s Sirius/XM channel as well as his own podcast, “Fitzdog Radio,” one of the most downloaded shows on iTunes. He has a lot of big name acts on his show, most of them comedians.

“Comedians are honest and intelligent, so they make for a good show,” he said. “I think on my show they can be in the moment and not have to do material. I really like my guests and I know my guests and so I am asking questions that I already know the answers to.”

Greg is probably one of the most sarcastic comics I have ever known. I think in part because he’s a Bronx native, so yeah, Greg can hold his own pretty well. A footnote: his dad, Bob Fitzsimmons, was once a radio personality back in the day in New York City and knew Howard Stern when he was still new in the business. Apparently Stern used to give Greg’s dad a hard time, bustin’ his chops, so it’s king of ironic having Greg working with a much older (and richer) Stern.

Fitzsimmons is a regular on the late night talk show circuit, including ‘The Late Show With David Letterman,” “Conan,” and “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” His two comedy specials on Comedy Central were well received, as was his MTV show, “Idiot Savants” (which won him a Cable ACE Award for Best Game Show). Greg was featured on the “HBO Comedy Showcase” hosted by Louie Anderson.

With regard to the big screen also appeared in the movies “Monumental,” “The Callback” and “Three.” Greg also is the author of the book “Dear Mrs. Fitzsimmons: Tales of Redemption from an Irish Mailbox.” The book is a memoir of growing up in a dysfunctional Irish family as told through a collection of disciplinary letters saved by his mother. Published by Simon & Schuster, the book is literally an open-heart surgery and dissection about a comedian. It’s very personal and insightful.

Dana Eagle was here for the very first time two years ago and everybody loved her.

We wanted to get Dana back up here; she requested Gay and Lesbian Ski Week. She loves it up here and feels at home, but I think it’s more because she likes being around people that aren’t in the back-stabbing business. She was on Byron Allen’s “Comics Unleashed,” “The Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson,” Comedy Central and Showtime. She was on a pilot for the E! Entertainment Network, shot another television pilot for ABC with Jason Alexander, hosted Comcast On Demand’s “UNConventional” and showcased in HBO’s U.S. Comedy Arts Festival for her solo show, “Stones From Glass Houses,” and then followed that up appearing in the series “Mood Disorders: A Light-Hearted Romp Through Crippling Depression.” Whew.

As Dana puts it, “Studies now show that 80 percent of us suffer from depression and that the other 20 percent of you cause it.”

Her style is a mix of laid-back coolness with a touch of the self-deprecating thrown in to keep her grounded. Oh, sure, one would say she’s offbeat by nature, but Dana’s always the real deal. She’s a hit with college, nightclub, television and concert audiences.

“I used to think I liked myself, she said, “but then I realized I was just using me to get to someone else.”

Like so many of us, Dana got into comedy as a way for gaining acceptance that she didn’t get at school.

“When you don’t have a lot of friends growing up, the seesaw is just a really low bench,” she said.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User