Kieckhefer tops Schmidt in state Senate race
June 13, 2018
State Sen. Ben Kieckhefer grabbed another primary victory over Gary Schmidt in the Republican primary for State Senate District 16 on Tuesday.
With all returns in, Kieckhefer topped Schmidt by 12 percentage points (6,518 votes to 5,076). In Washoe County, Kieckhefer garnered 4,713 votes to Schmidt's 3,553 (57.02 to 42.98 percent).
He will meet Carson City Democrat Tina Davis-Hersey in the November general election.
The district represents south Washoe County, including Incline Village, and Carson City.
The campaign was marked by continuous attacks on Kieckhefer by Schmidt who tried to paint him as a tax-and-spend RINO for his support of Gov. Brian Sandoval's K-12 education funding.
In contrast, Kieckhefer said he did "zero negative campaigning this cycle."
Recommended Stories For You
"I didn't go after him at all," he said.
This is the second time Schmidt has attempted to oust Kieckhefer in the primary. He was beaten by a 2-to-1 margin four years ago.
One piece of the puzzle remains unresolved. Carson District Judge James Wilson disqualified Schmidt agreeing with the Secretary of State's office Schmidt didn't live in District 16 because his address — the Reindeer Lodge half way up the Mount Rose Highway — has been uninhabitable since its roof collapsed under the weight of 25 feet of snow a year and a half ago.
The Nevada Supreme Court put Schmidt back on the ballot, staying his disqualification on grounds the issue of residency needs to be resolved. But the hearing to do so won't happen until July. The question now is whether the high court cancels that hearing as moot.
Trending In: Elections
- Unofficial results: El Dorado County voters say ‘yes’ to cannabis questions, ‘no’ to TOT increase
- Unofficial results: Middlebrook, Bass and Wallace elected to South Lake Tahoe City Council
- $22 million spent in Nevada governors race
- El Dorado County supervisor candidates find some common ground on VHR regulations
- Meet the candidates running for South Lake Tahoe City Council 2018
- TMZ: Tom Cruise in South Lake Tahoe to film scenes for ‘Top Gun’ sequel
- Backcountry skier rescued near Mount Tallac after falling over 200 feet (video)
- Realtor group vows to stay involved, looks ‘forward to continued discussion’ following passage of Measure T
- Lake Tahoe weather: Sunny conditions through weekend, snow possible next week
- South Lake Tahoe clerk: No recount request for Measure T