Unofficial results put Novasel, Curtzwiler at top of El Dorado County District 5 supervisor race
June 6, 2018
Editor’s note: This post is based off initial numbers reported by the county just after Election Day. With thousands of ballots still unprocessed, results could change. The Tribune will post updates as more results come in.
Unofficial election results in El Dorado County have incumbent Sue Novasel and challenger Kenny Curtzwiler advancing to the general election in a rematch of the 2014 race for District 5 supervisor.
Novasel and Curtzwiler earned the most votes in a crowd of four candidates, with Novasel at the top with 1,604 votes (36.9 percent) and Curtzwiler narrowly coming in second with 1,419 votes (32.64 percent).
Political newcomer Jeffrey Spencer finished in third with 718 votes (16.52 percent) and Norma Santiago, who held the supervisor seat before Novasel, finished in fourth with 597 votes (13.73 percent).
If results hold true, it sets up a rematch of the 2014 race in District 5, which includes nearly all of the Tahoe Basin portion of the county and stretches to Pollock Pines. Novasel won the 2014 race handily with nearly 60 percent of the vote.
Overall turnout in the county was 30.28 percent, according to the unofficial results.
Recommended Stories For You
In other contested county races:
Incumbent Vern Pierson fended off a challenge from Trish Kelliher, with 17,349 votes (56.55 percent) to 13,268 votes (43.25 percent).
Janelle K. Horne earned the most votes in the race with 12,137 votes (41.02 percent). In November Horne will face Todd White who finished second with 10,436 votes (35.27 percent). Dan Dellinger finished third with 6,962 votes (23.53 percent).
E. Coleman defeated Anne Billingsley, with 15,686 votes (56.12 percent) to 12,156 votes (43.49 percent).
Incumbent Joe Harn defeated challenger Mike Owen, with 16,284 votes (53.2 percent) to 14,253 votes (46.56 percent).
Supervisor District 4
Incumbent Michael Ranalli overwhelmingly won the largest amount of votes with 3,599 votes (50.03 percent). Lori Parlin received 2,698 votes (37.50 percent). Bogdan Ambrozewicz finished third.
CLARIFICATION: This story was originally published with the headline: Novasel, Curtzwiler advance to 2018 general election race for El Dorado County District 5 supervisor. It has since been updated to reflect the fact many ballots have yet to be counted.
Trending In: Elections
- Democrat Jessica Morse to face Republican Tom McClintock in general election race for California’s 4th congressional district
- Democrats vying for house seat against McClintock
- Candidate Q&A: Douglas County Commissioner, District 2
- Nevada state Senate District 16 candidate Gary Schmidt appeals disqualification to Nevada Supreme Court
- A glance at leading candidates for US Senate in California
- Phish fans trash Stateline area during first of 2 shows at Lake Tahoe
- Ferguson Fire in Yosemite filling Lake Tahoe Basin with smoke
- Yosemite wildfire to cause haze, smoke in Lake Tahoe Basin today
- Carson City woman admits to fatal DUI at Lake Tahoe
- Demonstrators to host march calling for US 50 pedestrian crossing in South Lake Tahoe