Faulty wiring likely culprit of dry cleaners blaze | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Faulty wiring likely culprit of dry cleaners blaze

Christina Proctor

The investigation isn’t over, but fire department officials said initial data pointed toward the possibility of an electrical problem in connection with the fire that decimated a dry cleaning business Monday evening.

Bill Gilliland, division chief for the South Lake Tahoe Fire Department, said investigators were working diligently Tuesday to discover the cause of the fire that caused an estimated $90,000 in damages to Tahoe One Hour Cleaners. The business is located in the Tahoe Plaza at 2301 U.S. Highway 50. Gilliland said that no chemicals used in the dry cleaning process were involved in the fire.

The fire department conservatively estimated that the blaze resulted in $40,000 in property damage and $50,000 in content damage, which included some customers’ clothes.

“We’re still not 100 percent sure, but were leaning toward the fire being electrical in nature,” Gilliland said. “It is an older building and it looks like there is a lot of substandard wiring in the building.”

Other businesses around the dry cleaning store were back in business Tuesday while the fire department worked next door.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User