Fire breaks out at Upper Kingsbury home (video) | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Fire breaks out at Upper Kingsbury home (video)

Jeff Munson
Dan Thrift / Tahoe Daily Tribune Tahoe Douglas firefighter Chris Peterson breaks away a portion of a roof of a home at 152A Bigler Circle, which caught fire Thursday morning.
ALL |

A shake roof caught fire Thursday morning in an Upper Kingsbury neighborhood, causing damage to the home and sending its occupants into the street.

A preliminary investigation indicates the fire, reported shortly before 10 a.m., started in the area of the wood stove chimney pipe, said Tahoe Douglas Fire Battalion Chief Dave Hekhuis. The shake roof “was definitely a factor” in the spread of the fire, he added. A damage estimate hadn’t been released.

Once firefighters initially doused the fire with foam, flames appeared 10 minutes later in another section of the roof.

The home, at 152 Bigler Circle, is divided into two units, each with wood stoves. Tenant Deanne Lee said she had built a fire in the small stove to warm up the house.

A neighbor who was outside at the time discovered the fire, called 911 and told Lee and her family that their house was on fire.

The occupants of both units said they previously had reported problems and concerns regarding fire hazards to their landlord.

Lee said wind had knocked down the chimney last year, and she hired someone to fix it. When the property manager paid Lee for the chimney repair, Lee said the repairman warned her about the shake roof and the possibility of fire. She said she told her landlord.

The other tenant, Sasha Russell, said she is moving. She said she advised the property manager last year that she felt the shake roof was unsafe, and that her own chimney needed work.

The one time she built a fire in the wood stove, her unit filled with smoke, she said. When she told the manager that she wanted the chimney fixed, she said she was told to “not have fires.”

The property manager, Nan Hart of Marla Bay-based Tahoe Management Company Inc., acknowledged the home has a shake roof “just like a lot of homes” in the basin.

She said the tenants hadn’t discussed their concerns directly with her, adding the property management company has all of its chimneys cleaned on an annual basis.

“The woodstove probably got too hot,” Hart said. “Fortunately the fire department got there in time.”


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User