Fire damages home roof |

Fire damages home roof

A Johnson Lane woman is staying with relatives after a roof fire at her Downs Drive home on Monday.

Myrtez Beland was burning paper in her fireplace when sparks from the chimney set her roof on fire about 12:25 p.m. The home is at 1359 Downs Drive.

“There was no spark arrester on the chimney and the paper came out and landed on the shake roof,” East Fork Fire Marshal Steve Eisele said. “It started the whole roof on fire.”

The fire spread to the attic, where nesting birds had left piles of straw and grass on insulation.

“The fire got inside and started burning the attic,” he said.

Firefighters had to cut a hole in the roof of the two-story home to extinguish the blaze and the power was shut off to the home.

Fortunately, volunteers arrived in time to stop the fire in the attic and save the home.

“They got there pretty quick and got it knocked down,” Eisele said. “There was very little interior damage.”

More than a dozen volunteers from Johnson Lane, Genoa, Minden and Fish Springs as well as the Nevada Division of Forestry responded to the fire with three water tenders and several engines.

Because that portion of Johnson Lane is not served by hydrants, firefighters had to bring their own water.

Johnson Lane is five miles south of Carson City.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User