Fire razes rental home | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Fire razes rental home

A man suffered burns to his face and hands Wednesday morning as fire gutted a rental home in the Sierra Tract.

The man, whose name was not available, was remodeling a bathroom in the home at the time. He was taken to Barton Memorial Hospital and then airlifted to the UC Davis Medical Center burn unit in Sacramento, where he was listed in good condition, according to UC Davis Medical Center Information Director Jennifer Flatley.

“He has burns to 7 percent of his body, mostly on his hands and face,” Flatley said. “But it appears that he will be OK.”



The home, at 2568 Osborne Ave., was being remodeled to be rented out, according to the owner, Lloyd Aronoff of South Lake Tahoe. A handyman that Aronoff had hired to do the work was using adhesive to install tile in a bathroom, when the vapors ignited from a pilot light in a nearby water heater.

“The adhesive’s flammable vapors are what appears to have caused the fire,” said South Lake Tahoe Fire Department Division Chief Merle Bowman. “He was working near a water heater, and the vapors just ignited.”




The owner was in the process of fixing up the two-bedroom home in order to rent it in the summer.

“It all happened so quick,” said Aronoff, who has owned the home for 15 years. “I was at work, and all of a sudden I get a call saying ‘Get over to the house, it’s on fire.’ It’s a shame. We worked so hard on it.

“I’m just thankful no one was killed.”

The home appeared to be a total loss.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User