Fire-sprinkler system does its job | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Fire-sprinkler system does its job

A fire in the garage of a three-story, custom Skyline Drive home that was ignited by stain-soaked rags was extinguished by a single sprinkler head with minimal water damage to the structure. And the incident serves example of value of installing fire sprinklers, officials said.

Firefighters from the Lake Valley Fire Protection District were called to the Skyline Drive home last Thursday at 10:15 p.m. for a report of a fire alarm. They found an extinguished fire in the garage. A single automatic sprinkler head mounted in the ceiling had activated and completely extinguished the blaze.

The fire was determined to be started by stain-soaked rags rolled up in a canvas tarp placed on a stack of wood inside the home’s three-car garage, said Gareth Harris, batallion chief for the Lake Valley Fire Protection District. It had the potential to spread quickly throughout the 5,000-square-foot home and possibly to the surrounding forest had it not been quickly extinguished, Harris said.

Contrary to myths, automatic sprinkler systems do not open up and drench the complete house in the event of a fire, according to the National Fire Protection Association. For details on automatic sprinkler systems or to schedule a free fire safety inspection, contact the Lake Valley Fire Protection District at (530) 577-3737.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User