Fisherman has story he’d rather not tell |

Fisherman has story he’d rather not tell

Susan Wood

Steve Newell / Tahoe Daily Tribune / Building owner Dean Lockwood supervises the demolition of his property along Highway 50 after a Ford pickup truck crashed into it on Friday night.

A Zephyr Cove man who runs a fishing outfitter business may say he landed a big one when an alleged drunk driver steered a truck into his newly purchased building in South Lake Tahoe this weekend.

The building was unoccupied at the time.

Dean Lockwood was prepared to perform a major remodel on the structure located at 2719 Lake Tahoe Blvd., when he received his city building permit. But now the old antique shop needs to be completely demolished – therefore doubling his estimated $200,000 construction costs and delaying the project for four months.

Lockwood, who has an office on Ski Run Boulevard, sent a crew out during the weekend to start disassembling the building. A heap of material at the site resembles the work of a wrecking ball. A sign posted on the old antique shop states: “Parking for store customers only.”

Six weeks ago, Lockwood closed escrow on the property – “Then, bang,” he said Sunday. “I can’t say I’ve seen trucks drive into my place.”

The South Lake Tahoe Police Department reported Dominick McConnell, 24, of Citrus Heights, veered off Highway 50 Saturday night with his white Ford truck and careened into the building, knocking out its pillars. The call came in at 7:57 p.m. When McConnell took off on foot after the crash, Officer Brad Williams chased down the suspect and arrested him.

Recommended Stories For You

McConnell remains in custody Sunday afternoon at El Dorado County Jail on charges of driving under the influence and operating a vehicle on a suspended license as well as resisting arrest. His bail is set at $25,000. His passenger, Jesse Andrews, received minor injuries but declined medical aid.

— In other news, police are still searching for a burglary suspect who broke into the Liquor Shack Sunday morning and took an undisclosed amount of cash. The 5:45 a.m. call noted the suspect broke windows to gain entry.

— Meanwhile, the wind increased the number of calls for authorities responding to alarms. With the warm weather Sunday, windows left open triggered many alarms to go off.