Four rooms burn at local inn |

Four rooms burn at local inn

Gregory Crofton

A wall heater sparked a fire early Wednesday morning that caused $200,000 in damage to the Secret Honeymooner Inn on Park Avenue.

A South Lake Tahoe firefighter suffered a minor injury to his back fighting the blaze, but none of the guests in the three rooms rented were hurt.

Firefighters got to the inn at 3:44 a.m. and controlled the fire in about 10 minutes.

The heater malfunctioned in a room on the ground floor and started a fire that spread to three other rooms, said South Lake Tahoe Fire Division Chief Bill Gilliland.

Firefighters hacked into the roof and walls of the inn and extinguished the fire by 6 a.m.

A guest was the first to spot smoke coming from the room and alerted the manager. There was a smoke detector in the room but it was useless because no one was in the room.

Firefighters dealt with the dark and blowing wind as they worked the fire. Their four-minute response time may have saved the entire inn from destruction.

“It could have, obviously if you don’t get there in time,” Gilliland said. “Early notification and response allows us to be able to get there.”

Eighteen firefighters, three engines and one mutual aid engine from Lake Valley Fire District packed up and left by 8 a.m.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.