Glenbrook pier compromise near | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Glenbrook pier compromise near

A battle about banning the construction of new piers in Glenbrook Bay has been resolved without the need, as had previously been planned, for the Governing Board of the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency to decide the outcome.

An agreement has been worked out between two Glenbrook property owners who were trying to build a pier near the bay’s community pier and a group of residents who were attempting to prohibit all pier construction there, said Gary Midkiff, a building consultant for the latter party.

TRPA’s decision-making board was to hear the prohibition issue later this month.



The board’s advisory planning commission – after three hours of discussion – endorsed the proposed pier prohibition in May. However, the parties agreed to try to work out a resolution before going to the governing board.

In the 1980s, ordinances were drafted detailing the wish of Glenbrook homeowners to keep new piers out of the bay. However, those plans became a guide for development there – not a regulation.




Midkiff represents a group of Glenbrook property owners who wanted to solidify what was outlined in the guide. One of the reasons for the recent push for that was because two property owners, Harvey Whittemore and Larry Ruvo, had applications pending for a new pier in the bay.

If approved, the Glenbrook residents felt, that could open up the possibility for up to 15 other piers to be built along the beach. Under today’s rules, there is question as to whether any of the 15 possibilities would be allowed. However, TRPA is in the process of amending its shorezone ordinances, and the property owners feared the Whittemore-Ruvo pier could pave the way for more.

Details of the agreement include Whittemore and Ruvo withdrawing their application for a pier and applying for one in a different, more out-of-the-way location, Midkiff said. The property where the pier would have been located will be turned over to Robert Daiss, one of Midkiff’s clients. Finally, the proposal for the pier prohibition would be withdrawn.

“Our clients are satisfied with the agreement,” Midkiff said.

Whittemore’s and Ruvo’s pier proposals have been met with controversy before. Earlier this year, a proposal which could have helped the pier-building efforts of Whittemore, who is a powerful casino lobbyist in Nevada, was slipped into a Senate Bill at the last minute. Branded “piergate,” the controversial move brought a lot of attention to both Whittemore and the senator, Mark James, who introduced it. The bill later passed, absent the controversial addition.

Whittemore did not return phone calls Friday or Monday.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User