IHOP patron helped mom, child escape Nev. shooting | TahoeDailyTribune.com

IHOP patron helped mom, child escape Nev. shooting

CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) – A Carson City man who ushered a woman and child out the back door of an IHOP restaurant during a bloody rampage at the pancake house says he’s not a hero.

But the husband and father of those two survivors thanked him later for his quick thinking during the Tuesday shooting that ended with five people dead, including the gunman, and seven wounded.

“What the heck was going on? You just, you didn’t know. But you didn’t have time to process all that information,” said Kevin Carrick, a 52-year-old father of eight and former Air Force paramedic. “All you had to do was try and see if you could do something that could make a difference. My training and my Air Force career 30 years ago probably kicked in.”

Carrick said the gunman seemed intent on killing as many people as possible.

Among the four people killed by the gunman in the still-unexplained shooting were an Iraq War veteran who loved military history, a Navy crewman who had served in Afghanistan and a devoted grandmother who crocheted blankets for every pregnant woman in her life.

“This is unquestionably the most devastating attack in Carson City’s history,” Sheriff Kenny Furlong said on Wednesday. “Yesterday our town was shocked to the core.”

Exactly what set the gunman, 32-year-old Eduardo Sencion, off – and whether the grocery store employee had some kind of grudge against the military – remained unclear. Family members told police that Sencion was mentally troubled, but he did not have a criminal history.

Three members of the National Guard were killed when the shooting interrupted their breakfast meeting. Along with 31-year-old Sgt. 1st Class Miranda McElhiney, the other victims killed in the shooting were 38-year-old Sgt. 1st Class Christian Riege of Carson City and 35-year-old Major Heath Kelly of Reno.

The gunfire also killed Florence Donovan-Gunderson, a 67-year-old civilian resident of South Lake Tahoe who was sitting near the Guard members when she was shot. Her husband, Wally Gunderson, was also shot and remained in the hospital late Wednesday, her daughter said.

For the victims’ families, the uncertainty surrounding the mass killing amplified the pain of their loss.

“That’s the worst part, not understanding, and that it was something beyond her control,” said Cindy Dopf, the daughter of Donovan-Gunderson. “Just the wrong place at the wrong time.”

Kelly’s stepmother, Noretta Kelly, said she felt like his death was “unreal,” given that he had survived a tour in Iraq, a childhood in the New Orleans area and had moved to a safer place.

“It’s just kind of like – it wasn’t right,” she said.

Sencion’s family members declined to speak with reporters. The doors were locked Wednesday at the family’s Mi Pueblo market in South Lake Tahoe where he worked. Messages of condolences were left on a note taped on the front door: “In our prayers. Always keep love in your heart. Prayers with the families. In my thoughts.”

Off to the right was a newsstand displaying the front page of the local newspaper with the banner headline “Tremendous Tragedy.”

“He was a happy guy. He was always smiling,” said Art Panchal, who runs a motel near the Sencion family market and often shopped there. “He would help people out.”

Sencion, who did not have a military record, had at least one previous encounter with the law. He was taken into protective health custody by South Lake Tahoe police in April 2000. He fought with officers during the incident but was not charged.

No court order was involved, said Lt. David Stevenson. He declined to release any other details because the Carson City shooting investigation remains active.

Witness accounts and 911 calls made from in and around the IHOP paint a frantic scene from the moment Sencion stepped out of his blue minivan with a “Support Our Troops” sticker on it and began firing into the restaurant parking lot just before 9 a.m. He continued his attack in the IHOP, where he aimed at each of the five Guards members gathered for their staff meeting at a table in the back of the restaurant.

Kathy Chaney, of Dayton, Nev., was just feet away from the National Guard members when the shooting began.

“I heard screaming. I heard glass shattering. I heard a woman moaning,” she recalled. “…When I looked up I just saw debris flying, it was almost like in slow motion – like confetti.”

Chaney said that as she huddled beneath the table, three men who work for a cable company took charge and started yelling for those inside to leave the restaurant through an emergency exit.

Sencion then returned to the parking lot, when he fired at several other businesses before shooting himself in the head.

In all, seven people were wounded in the attack. Their names were not released, but authorities said three of them were released from the Carson-Tahoe Hospital on Wednesday.

Maj. April Conway of the Nevada National Guard said one of the three released was a Guard member. That leaves one Guard member still hospitalized, along with three civilians.

The four victims killed in the attack were all described as men and women who actively served their communities. There are no known connections between the victims and Sencion.

Kelly was a decorated officer and avid student of military history who was known for his dry sense of humor. He was married with two kids.

Kelly’s stepmother said he always wanted to be a soldier.

“That was his goal – he wanted to defend the United States,” said Noretta Kelly of Terrytown, La.

Riege, an armor crewman, was known as a fitness buff. He served in Afghanistan from 2009 to 2010.

Donovan-Gunderson was not in the military, but her husband was a retired U.S. Marine Corps member. Her daughters recalled their mother as a giving person who made blankets for the elderly and chatted up everyone she met, especially pregnant women.

It became such a signature trait that her grandchildren asked for the blankets she had made for them after learning of her death Wednesday.

McElhiney, of Reno, was the youngest of those killed. She was an administrative sergeant who had been in the Guard for 13 years. She was remembered for baking birthday, wedding and graduation cakes for anyone who asked and mentoring young women entering the male-centric Guard.

McElhiney was “a fireball. She told you how it was. She didn’t hold anything back,” said Kaylee Rutledge, 18, a recent high school graduate scheduled to start Guard training next week.

Rutledge said a Guard commander told her McElhiney was shot in the stomach and survived an initial surgery Tuesday morning. She appeared coherent and was talking to those around her. But after a second surgery, McElhiney faltered.

“I know she is proud of the way she passed because she was in uniform and everyone will know that she served her country well,” Rutledge said.


Associated Press writers Michelle Rindels, Oskar Garcia and Cristina Silva in Las Vegas and Scott Sonner in Carson City contributed to this report.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User