Gas, electrical explosion caused fire at Kingsbury auto shop
An explosion caused by gasoline and electrical sparks caused a fire in a Kingbury Grade auto and engine repair shop on Wednesday, according to the fire department.
“The sprinkle system did discharge and it kept the fire at bay to the vehicle of origin. There was no damage to the building,” said Eric Guevin, fire marshal with Tahoe Douglas Fire Protection District.
The occupant at Ron’s Auto & Small Engine Repair, located in the bottom floor of the Market Street building housing the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency, was air lifted to UC Davis with second- and third-degree burns to his face and arms.
ORIGINAL STORY: Kingsbury auto shop catches fire
An auto and engine repair shop on Kingsbury Grade caught fire Wednesday afternoon, injuring at least one person.
The fire erupted at Ron’s Auto & Small Engine Repair, located in the bottom floor of the Market Street building housing the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency, forcing the evacuation of the entire complex.
“I looked out my office window and saw a huge cloud of black smoke,” said Stephanie Puls, an employee at Sierra Valley Electric, located right above the auto shop.
Puls said a mechanic was airlifted from the scene by Cal-Star.
“He was totally aware of what was going on,” said Puls. “In fact he was trying to put [the fire] out before we called 911.”
The extent of the man’s injuries and the damage to the building are not known.
The fire happened just two days after a mobile home on Kingsbury Grade was destroyed by a fire.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. — More evacuation orders from the Caldor Fire have been downgraded to warnings in South Lake Tahoe.