Kingsbury erosion control updated
Areas involved in the Kingsbury General Improvement District’s controversial erosion control project are moving forward, while others are being re-evaluated.
Homeowners who live on Kingsbury Grade, off North Benjamin, objected to a portion of the project which includes putting up concrete gravity block walls.
“The primary purpose of the plan is to prevent sediment and nutrients from getting into Burke Creek, which leads straight into Lake Tahoe,” District General Manager Candi Rohr said. “What has been designed for the project in the areas of concern is rock slope protection, gravity block retaining walls and extensive curb and gutter.”
According to Rohr, wall work has been temporarily put on hold while a second evaluation is being conducted.
“At our July 17 meeting the board authorized the hiring of Resource Concepts to do a second evaluation of the slope treatments,” Rohr said. “They looked at the areas where we had rock proposed and where we had wall proposed. Their direction was to see if there was any place where rock was specified in the plans and not needed.”
Jennifer Roman, the project design engineer, met with the KGID Field Staff Tuesday to review areas specified by Research Concepts.
“Our original design engineer was out (Tuesday) with the field staff reviewing the comments of Resource Concepts,” Rohr said. “They’re deciding which recommendations are appropriate to incorporate into plan revisions. They saw some areas where they thought treatment could be reduced or eliminated but there were other areas where they thought treatment should be extended or upgraded.”
KGID has begun installing curb and gutter upgrades, drop inlets, sediment traps, piping and horizontal wells.
“The project is moving forward,” Rohr said. “But the contractor has not been authorized to do any wall work yet. If there is any reduction in rock work then we would definitely give the contractor a work directive to reduce the rock in those areas. If the engineer finds that appropriate, then that would be done at the staff level, without having to go to the KGID board. Within a day or so we will be making that decision because the contractor will be starting his rock work shortly.
“The second issue, which is more critical to the property owners is a review of the wall material specified and consideration and identification of other alternatives for the board’s consideration. That will be a board decision.”
According to Roman, who is with JWA Consulting Engineers Inc. and a KGID trustee, five main factors were considered in the initial selection of project materials.
Applicability, durability, constructability, availability and maintainability were the criteria used in selecting the proposed improvements.
“We based our decisions on engineering judgments and this has been reviewed by several agencies,” Roman said at the July 17 meeting.
Rohr said a decision should be made regarding the gravity block walls by the Aug. 15 board meeting.
“I think we’re going to do a little fine tuning on the rock and then the major issue still remains the walls,” Rohr said. “I’m expecting a decision by the next meeting. It is still our goal to get a wall treatment of some sort in this year.”
The Kingsbury Village Erosion Control Project is 75 percent funded through Nevada’s Tahoe Bond Act, with the remaining 25 percent coming from outside sources. The construction cost is about $1.5 million.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. — Christmas Engines for South Lake Tahoe Fire Rescue and Lake Valley Fire Protection District will be out and about in December spreading holiday cheer.