Las Vegas Mystery: Firearms, ‘anarchist textbook’ in room where ricin found
LAS VEGAS (AP) ” Firearms and an “anarchist type textbook” were found in the same motel room where the deadly toxin ricin was found, police said Friday.
The room was most recently occupied by a 57-year-old man who has been in critical condition with breathing problems at a hospital for more than two weeks.
Capt. Joseph Lombardo said at a press conference late Friday that the book was tabbed at a spot with information about ricin. Lombardo did not give more information about the book or specify what kinds of weapons were found.
Lombardo said there was no apparent link to terrorist activity, and no indication of any spread of the deadly substance beyond the several vials of powder found in a plastic bag in the man’s room on Thursday.
“There is no terrorist threat or threat of contamination from ricin,” he said.
Lombardo said police found the weapons and books on Tuesday, after a manager at the Extended Stay America Motel called police upon finding weapons.
Lombardo said a 53-year-old friend or relative of the sick man made contact with motel management on Feb. 22 to inform them about pets in the room ” a dog and two cats.
Earlier Friday, police Deputy Chief Kathy Suey said that the friend or relative found the vials after going to the motel to retrieve the hospitalized man’s belongings, and brought them to the apartment manager. Authorities confirmed Friday the vials contained ricin.
Upon finding the book and weapons Tuesday, tests for ricin were conducted, but none was detected, said Lombardo.
“The only positive tests was on the powder in question” in the vials, said Lombardo.
It was unclear why, if the vials were in the motel room Thursday, that police hadn’t detected the substance when testing for it two days earlier, something Lombardo did not address during the brief news conference.
Seven people, including the man who found the ricin, the manager, two other motel employees and three police officers, were decontaminated at the scene and taken to hospitals for examination, but none have shown any signs of being affected by ricin, Suey said. All were released overnight, and a cleanup of the hotel had been completed.
Lombardo said precautionary tests were also done in a room at the Excalibur hotel-casino, on the Las Vegas Strip, where the friend or relative had been saying. He said they were negative.
Suey said the manufacture of ricin is a crime, but it was not clear the substance found belonged to the man, who was hospitalized in critical condition Feb. 14 after summoning an ambulance to the motel and complaining of respiratory distress.
The man was unconscious and unable to speak, Suey said, adding that he was not currently a suspect.
“We don’t know an awful lot about him,” Suey said. “We don’t even know that it was him that was in possession of the ricin.” She said she could not say how much ricin was in the vials.
Ricin is made from processing castor beans, and can be extremely lethal. As little as 500 micrograms, or about the size of the head of a pin, can kill a human, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.
Castor beans also were found in the man’s room, officials said.
An American Medical Response paramedic crew that took the man to the hospital about 11 a.m. Feb. 14 had no indication of ricin poisoning, AMR general manager John Wilson said.
Wilson would not say whether the two paramedics who handled the call entered the man’s room, but said neither have shown no symptoms of exposure.
Naomi Jones, spokeswoman for Spring Valley Hospital, said the patient was in critical condition when he arrived at the hospital. She said police contacted the hospital Wednesday about a possible ricin exposure investigation.
“The investigation started two days ago, that’s when we began cooperating,” Jones said. “The patient who has been exposed is not contagious to anyone else, as ricin has to be injected, ingested or inhaled.”
Lombardo said the hospital was contacted Wednesday, a day before police said the ricin was found.
Greg Evans, director of the Institute for Biosecurity at Saint Louis University in Missouri, said the fact that the man suffered respiratory illness suggested he was exposed to a powder fine enough to float in the air.
“If he went to the hospital with difficulty breathing, he actually inhaled it,” Evans said. “For some reason he opened the vial and it must have been aerosolized.”
Multiple vials would probably contain enough ricin to sicken many people if it was spread, for example, around a buffet table or sprayed in a closed room.
“If it was aerosolized in a confined space then it certainly could harm dozens of people,” he said.
Police said they had spent 12 hours containing and cleaning up the site. The motel room had been unoccupied since the man was hospitalized.
Authorities said the man who turned over the vials claimed to be a relative, but couldn’t yet confirm it.
The manager had begun an eviction because the sick man hadn’t paid his bill, and the friend or relative had gone to retrieve his items, Suey said.
Suey said there were several pets in the room when officers arrived. A dog was found dead but the animal had gone at least a week without food or water, Suey said. She did not attribute the death to ricin.
Evans, of the Institute for Biosecurity, said that if ricin is inhaled, symptoms would include difficulty breathing, fever, cough and nausea. Injection would lead to vomiting and severe diarrhea. Eventually these symptoms would progress to seizures, hallucination, bloody urine and damage to the kidney, liver and spleen and death.
Tom Obrig, an expert on ricin who teaches nephrology at the University of Virginia, said there have been about 700 reports over the years of people trying to commit suicide by eating castor beans.
“Usually it doesn’t work because it’s not digested well,” he said.
For the most part, however, the toxin has more of a cloak-and-dagger reputation linked more closely to spies and assassins. He recalled one particularly famous murder in 1978 involving Georgi Ivanov Markov, a Bulgarian dissident in London.
Markov “was standing on a corner waiting for a bus and some spy came along and injected a pellet in his leg from an umbrella,” Obrig said. “The guy died three days later. It was traced back by Scotland Yard who figured the only thing potent enough to do that was ricin.”
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User