Listen: Talking turkey; Walmart, Chipotle expand; Warriors to host fans and more on Tahoe Talk
Get local, national and world news in about 15 minutes with the Tahoe Talk podcast.
- We officially have a new second richest person in the world: Bernard Arnault, head honcho of French fashion house LVMH worth $137 billion … he trails only Mr. Burns (Jeff Bezos) — Elon Musk set to take the No. 3 spot by the end of the week after Tesla’s shares soar following acceptance into the S&P 500
- Whole Foods is collaborating with Progressive to offer Thanksgiving “insurance” with a $35 gift card to customers who “commit a turkey cooking fail.” You must submit a picture as proof of your inedible turkey — because your family’s ridicule isn’t enough. Side Fact: Around 40 million turkeys are eaten each Thanksgiving, according to the National Turkey Federation.
- Walmart, which already sells almost everything, is launching a new arm, Walmart Pet Care. It will offer insurance, dog walking and pet-sitting services
- Zoom competitor Hopin raises $125 million to be the Live Nation of virtual events. It’s biggest strength, impeccable timing: it officially launched in June 2019, just around six months before… you know what. User explosion: In eight months, Hopin grew from 5K users and 1.8K event hosts to 3.5M users and 50K host orgs (including NATO, the UN, and Slack).
- Burrito legend Chipotle opens its first digital-only restaurant (Highland’s, NY) as online orders soar. The design is meant for urban areas, where real estate is more expensive and a full-size restaurant isn’t possible
- Apple’s new MacBook Pro (with its own M1 chip) is the “world’s fastest CPU core” and starts at $1,299
- The Golden State Warriors want to host 10k fans at each home game next NBA season (50% capacity). The team will spend $30m for rapid COVID testing and other measures before entering the stadium.
- Thursday 11/19 = Nat’l Play Monopoly Day
- Fact Check: “If you used a sharpie on your ballot, your votes were not counted” – False!
- Update on local COVID-19 restrictions
- Tahoe native Jamie Anderson a headliner of US Snowboard Team
- Experts offer advice when leaving the well trodden path and into the backcountry
- Strong winter storm on the way
- South Tahoe man travels country with his dogs promoting adoption
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
For some travelers, the allure of Lake Tahoe’s azure waters is only part of the reason to vacation in the Sierra Nevada; they crave the excitement of the blackjack table and the sounds of the…