All-new Best of Tahoe Craft Beer contest coming to South Shore
March 10, 2018
The next brewery-based event is headed to South Shore — on Saturday, May 12, the Best of Tahoe Craft Beer contest takes over Lake Tahoe AleWorX for an afternoon filled with tastings courtesy of local brewers.
A collaboration between the Tahoe Daily Tribune and AleWorX, Best of Tahoe Craft Beer highlights libations from establishments found around Lake Tahoe — FiftyFifty Brewing Co., Sidellis Lake Tahoe, Alibi Ale Works, Outpost Brewing Co., Cold Water Brewery & Grill and South Lake Brewing Company will each have three handles on tap at the event.
Essentially, Best of Tahoe Craft Beer is a competition that reflects an all-new "Best Beer" category in the annual Best of Tahoe contest produced by the Tahoe Daily Tribune.
Each participating brewery will submit one light beer, one dark beer and one IPA, and a blind taste-testing will be conducted via the self-service tap wall at AleWorX. Those familiar with the taproom know that each handle usually has brief facts about the beer — but at Best of Tahoe Craft Beer, the information will be "blacked out" for a truly unbiased experience.
"We're bringing in two to three kegs from all the breweries around the lake. Basically every screen [on the beer wall] will show no information specific to the brewery or the type of beer," said AleWorX CEO Luca Genasci.
Attendees will have the opportunity to try all submissions, then show support for their favorite beverage in each category by means of an online voting component.
Recommended Stories For You
"We're trying to double down on creating a collaborative event, but coming up with something that's tailored to AleWorX being able to do something with the self-service element that no one else can do in the area — and that's really having a true blind taste-testing where people are serving themselves and voting all without having to interact with a third party," Genasci said.
Apart from a multitude of locally based brews, live music and multiple vendors will also be on-site at AleWorX for Best of Tahoe Craft Beer.
The exclusive event will only be open to ticket-holders: A general ticket grants patrons access to AleWorX from 1-5 p.m., and a VIP option gets attendees into the event at noon.
UPDATE: This post has been updated to include a link for purchasing tickets.
Trending In: Local
- Impact from China’s new import recycling regulations ‘negligible’ on South Shore
- What to look forward to in Tahoe this spring
- St. Joseph Community Land Trust assists in affordable housing
- South Lake Tahoe City Council cannabis discussion moved to special meeting
- Lake Tahoe Polar Plunge raises $185K for Special Olympics
- Lake Tahoe weather: Another winter storm could bring several feet of snow in Sierra high country
- El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office IDs bodies recovered from Fallen Leaf Lake
- Update: No sign of missing Bear Valley skier
- Couple to get $2.5M after police called abduction by Lake Tahoe lawyer a hoax
- Bagel shop opens inside Blue Angel Café in South Lake Tahoe