Auditions announced for ‘The Miracle Worker’ in Truckee
August 26, 2014
Auditions for William Gibson's classic tale "The Miracle Worker" will be held Sept. 9, for the Truckee-Donner Recreation & Park District's third community theater production. The show will be directed by Courtney Simson. All roles are open. Auditions will consist of reading from the script. Script sides will be provided at tryouts.
Roles in the play, which is based on the novel about Helen Keller and her teacher Annie Sullivan include the following:
Annie Sullivan: Title role ages 18-30. Feisty, spirited; an inspired young teacher. Believes there is an intelligent child locked inside Helen Keller, and is determined to reach her by any means possible.
Helen Keller: Lead ages 8-14. Trapped in a frustrating world in which she cannot hear or see. Curious, energetic, willful.
Captain Keller: Lead, ages 40-50. A former Confederate officer who rules his family with a firm hand, but truly loves them and tries to protect them.
Kate Keller: Lead, ages 25-35. Wishes to please her beloved husband, but is torn by Helen's condition and devoted to her child's needs.
Recommended Stories For You
James Keller; Lead, ages 15-22. Captain Keller's son by a first marriage. Thinks his family is spoiling Helen by giving into her every whim. At the beginning of the play, James believes Helen should be placed in an institution.
Aunt Ev: Supporting role. Helen's charmingly talkative, vivacious aunt. Genuinely caring person who is responsible for bringing a teacher to Helen from the Perkins School for the Blind.
Dr. Anagnos: Supporting role. Annie's mentor at the School who believes in her and sends her off to the Kellers to work with Helen.
Viney, 30-60; Martha, 8-12; and Percy, 8-14, supporting roles; girls at the Perkins School for the Blind, supporting roles, 5-14; Jimmy Sullivan, supporting role, age 5-7; crones, supporting roles. 40-70.
Auditions will be held at 3:45 p.m. for children and 5:30 p.m. for adults at the Community Arts Center on Church Street in Downtown Truckee. Call backs will be on the same evening, and actors will be informed if they need to stay. There is no fee for auditions.
If cast, actors will pay $100 to the Truckee-Donner Recreation & Parks District for enrollment, and $100 production fee to the director for royalties, costume rentals, sets due at the first meeting.
Rehearsals will be on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from Sept. 11 through Nov. 19. Performances will be Nov. 20, 21, 22 and 23 at the Community Arts Center.
For more information, call TDRPD at 582-7720 or contact Simson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Local
- Lake Tahoe students walk out for safer schools; district discusses security upgrades
- Local philanthropist ups donation to Whittell High School
- Driving in snow: 10 tips for safely navigating winter roads at Lake Tahoe
- ABC’s ‘Modern Family’ films season nine premiere in South Lake Tahoe
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3 feet of snow at some ski resorts; another 1-3 feet of snow possible
- Lake Tahoe ski resorts report over 4 feet of snow in 48 hours
- Bagel shop opens inside Blue Angel Café in South Lake Tahoe
- El Dorado County: Traffic ‘nudge’ effective in Meyers
- Couple to get $2.5M after police called abduction by Lake Tahoe lawyer a hoax