Carson Mint Coin Show and Fair coming up
August 12, 2014
The Carson City Mint Coin Show & Fair is scheduled for Aug. 22-23. The show and fair are one event and will take place concurrently. The coin show will locate across the street in the Carson Nugget Ballroom, 507 N. Carson Street, and the coin education fair will occur at the museum, 600 N. Carson Street.
While visiting the museum, be sure to see our Sesquicentennial Exhibit, "Finding Frémont: Pathfinder of the West."
The event will host 28 dealers, offering numismatic expertise, free appraisals, and coin sales at the Nugget. Come to the education fair for lectures, presentations, raffle prize drawings, and kids activities. Learn about the history and mysteries of the Carson City Mint, Civil War Tokens, First Coins of the Americas and coin grading. See Coin Press No. 1 in action and order a John C. Frémont Commemorative Medallion.
Friday and Saturday family activities include a treasure chest of foreign coins, "CC" coin design rubbings, mine tours, a rock and mineral lab, and Grandma's Trunk. Gold panning will be available Saturday only for $5 per person.
Special 1/2 price admission of $4 gets you into both locations for one day; kids and museum members are always free. Hours: 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Friday. Aug. 22 and 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 23.
There will be approximately $4,000 in raffle prizes, including men's and women's Aurista coin watches, "CC" Morgan silver dollars, a peace dollar, and other rare collectibles. The grand prize is a custom one-of-a-kind knife ($1,000 value) donated by John and Becky Etten and designed by Master Navajo Silversmith David Yellowhorse especially for the Carson City Mint Coin Show and Fair. Raffle tickets are $1 each or six for $5 — available at the admissions desk or by mail (minimum $10 order). Drawings held throughout the day both Friday and Saturday, Aug. 22-23. The grand prize drawing will be 3 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 22.
Recommended Stories For You
2014 Coin Show/Fair contributors include the following:
Gold Sponsors: Carson Nugget, Reno Gazette Journal; Silver Sponsors: Nevada Magazine; Nevada Appeal; Gus's Rare Coins; Vams; Camelot Party Rentals, S & T Coins, Reno Coin Club, and Friends of the Nevada State Museum. The event partner is Downtown Coin Club.
For raffle tickets or more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 775-687-4810, ext. 237.
Trending In: Local
- Impact from China’s new import recycling regulations ‘negligible’ on South Shore
- What to look forward to in Tahoe this spring
- St. Joseph Community Land Trust assists in affordable housing
- Local philanthropist ups donation to Whittell High School
- Lake Tahoe students walk out for safer schools; district discusses security upgrades
- Lake Tahoe weather: Another winter storm could bring several feet of snow in Sierra high country
- El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office IDs bodies recovered from Fallen Leaf Lake
- Couple to get $2.5M after police called abduction by Lake Tahoe lawyer a hoax
- Lake Tahoe ski resorts report over 4 feet of snow in 48 hours
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3 feet of snow at some ski resorts; another 1-3 feet of snow possible