El Dorado sheriff deputy shoots into car to free trapped bear in South Lake Tahoe (video)
August 17, 2018
A Northern California deputy fired several beanbag rounds into a back car window to free a trapped bear that had likely been searching for snacks.
El Dorado County Sheriff’s spokesman Anthony Prencipe said Thursday that officers were called after the bear was seen rummaging through a Honda Civic in South Lake Tahoe.
In a video, the caller says the bear did not seem very happy and that it looked huge.
The deputy says that he was going to try to break out the back window. After several shots, the window breaks open and the bear romps out and into the woods.
Prencipe said it’s safer to open a vehicle remotely than get close to a scared bear.
Recommended Stories For You
The sheriff’s office posted on Facebook that bears can open doors.
Trending In: Local
- ELECTION UPDATE: Measure T’s lead falls to 47 votes in South Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe Regional Planning Agency approves US 50 South Shore Community Revitalization Project
- Tahoe Keys Marina vows legal action after City Council rejects land swap appeal
- ELECTION UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe’s Measure T passing by 58 votes
- South Lake Tahoe man jailed after allegedly selling pot to minors