Husband, wife killed in Tahoe boat crash (updated w/ photos)
August 11, 2014
A husband and wife were killed in a boating accident on Lake Tahoe early Sunday morning after crashing into a dock piling near Meeks Bay, authorities said.
Responding units from North Tahoe Fire and the El Dorado County Sheriff's Office found San Ramon, Calif., residents Vadim Raizanov, 45, and Tatiana Nikolskaya, 44, dead at the scene.
According to the El Dorado County Sheriff's Office, an initial investigation indicates the two had been driving a 19-foot-long 1997 Glastron boat at a high rate of speed when the crash occurred.
The force of the impact, which was enough to awaken a group of people sleeping on the dock at the time, split the boat's hull in half, authorities said.
The El Dorado County Sheriff's Office received a report of the incident at 1:40 a.m. The dock is located on the 7000 block of Emerald Bay Road.
Authorities said they are investigating the possibility that alcohol may have been a factor. Autopsies are scheduled for early this week.
Trending In: Local
- What to look forward to in Tahoe this spring
- Lake Tahoe Polar Plunge raises $185K for Special Olympics
- South Lake Tahoe City Council cannabis discussion moved to special meeting
- Impact from China’s new import recycling regulations ‘negligible’ on South Shore
- St. Joseph Community Land Trust assists in affordable housing
- Lake Tahoe weather: Another winter storm could bring several feet of snow in Sierra high country
- Lake Tahoe snowpack doubles in March — and more on the way
- Update: No sign of missing Bear Valley skier
- El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office IDs bodies recovered from Fallen Leaf Lake
- Lake Tahoe weather: Winter storm warning, flood watch take effect Wednesday