Investigators seek information on three Sunday fires
August 27, 2014
Douglas County authorities are looking for information on three suspicious fires that were set in the Gardnerville Ranchos early Sunday morning.
At 1:39 a.m., sheriff's deputies and the East Fork firefighters responded to a vegetation fire in the vacant lot behind 1309 Langley Ave. The fire ignited a NVEnergy power pole that threatened electricity to the 16-unit apartment building at that address, as well as a fence.
Firefighters suppressed the blaze, and an NV Energy crew responded to keep power on at the apartments, according to East Fork Fire Capt. Terry Taylor. While personnel were at the Langley address, a second fire was reported behind a Frontier telephone exchange located a quarter-mile south on Tillman Avenue from the apartments.
As firefighters responded to the scene, another fire was reported in a vacant field 25 yards further south along Tillman Avenue. All three fires were quickly extinguished.
Damage to the apartment house electrical system, about 50-feet of fence and exterior wall is estimated to be about $2,500.
Damage to the NV Energy pole and equipment is unknown at this time.
Recommended Stories For You
The investigation continues.
Neighbors reported seeing young males in the vicinity, prior to discovering the fires.
Anyone has any information call Douglas County Sheriff's Office Investigations at 782- 9905 or Douglas County Dispatch at 782-5126.
Trending In: Local
- Impact from China’s new import recycling regulations ‘negligible’ on South Shore
- What to look forward to in Tahoe this spring
- St. Joseph Community Land Trust assists in affordable housing
- Local philanthropist ups donation to Whittell High School
- Changes to South Lake Tahoe vacation home rental rules finalized
- Lake Tahoe weather: Another winter storm could bring several feet of snow in Sierra high country
- El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office IDs bodies recovered from Fallen Leaf Lake
- Update: No sign of missing Bear Valley skier
- Couple to get $2.5M after police called abduction by Lake Tahoe lawyer a hoax
- Bagel shop opens inside Blue Angel Café in South Lake Tahoe