League removing Eurasian watermilfoil infestation
August 1, 2014
League to Save Lake Tahoe is asking for help to remove an infestation of Eurasian watermilfoil found last week in the Upper Truckee River.
The cleanup is set for Tuesday, August 5 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
The infestation of the aquatic invasive species was spotted by someone participating in the Eyes on the Lake program. The program trains people to identify invasive plants so they can report any infestations they see while recreating in the Lake Tahoe Basin.
"League staff followed up by mapping the affected area. Fortunately it was found when still a manageable size and a simple removal effort can stamp it out in this area once and for all," the environmental group said in a press release for the cleanup event.
People helping with the cleanup will meet at the Trailhead to Cove East near Tahoe Keys Marina on Venice Drive East. People who want to help are asked to RSVP by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by calling 530-541-5388.
Trending In: Local
- What lies in the depths of Lake Tahoe’s waters? (video)
- Authorities recover body from 1,062 feet in Lake Tahoe (updated)
- Human skull found in Truckee off Highway 89
- Blue Granite Climbing Gym open for business in South Lake Tahoe
- Referendum backers submit signatures; South Lake Tahoe marijuana regulations delayed