Lodge evacuated after carbon monoxide alarm triggered | TahoeDailyTribune.com

Lodge evacuated after carbon monoxide alarm triggered

Griffin Rogers

A lodge in Stateline was evacuated for about an hour-and-a-half Tuesday morning after high levels of carbon monoxide set off an alarm in one of the rooms.

The incident occurred shortly before 10 a.m. at The Lodge at Kingsbury Crossing, located on Deer Run Court. No one was seriously injured, but two people did complain of mild symptoms they felt were related to the gas, according to Eric Guevin of the Tahoe Douglas Fire Protection District.

The cause of the high gas levels was unknown as of about 1 p.m., but it was thought to be related to exhaust coming from an idling vehicle outside.

The gas apparently set off a carbon monoxide alarm in an unoccupied first-floor room, but above-normal amounts were also detected on the second and third floor of the lodge, Guevin said.

Some of the other rooms where the gas was detected were occupied. Fortunately, the lodge had carbon monoxide alarms installed to warn occupants of a dangerous situation, Guevin said.

“The alarm potentially saved lives and at the very least kept occupants from becoming ill,” he said in an email. “These devices save lives from a odorless and deadly gas that will kill without other warning unless an alarm is used.”

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.