LTCC Writers’ Series celebrates Poetry Month with two award-winning poets
April 17, 2014
The Lake Tahoe Community College Writers' Series is celebrating National Poetry Month with poets June Sylvester Saraceno and Laura Wetherington. Beginning at 7 p.m. April 24 in the Aspen Room, these award-winning poets will read from their works, engage the audience with a Q&A, and sign copies of their books. The event is free and open to the public, and books will be available for purchase.
Saraceno's second full-length collection of poetry, of Dirt and Tar, is forthcoming from Cherry Grove Collections this spring. She is also the author of Altars of Ordinary Light, released by Plain View Press in 2007, and a chapbook of prose poems, Mean Girl Trips, published in 2006 by Pudding House Press. Saraceno is currently English Program Chair at Sierra Nevada College, where she is director of the popular Writers in the Woods literary speaker series and founding editor of the Sierra Nevada Review.
Laura Wetherington's first book, A Map Predetermined and Chance (Fence Books, 2011), was selected by C.S. Giscombe for the National Poetry Series. She also has two chapbooks: Dick Erasures (Red Ceilings Press, 2011) and a collaboration with Jill Darling and Hannah Ensor, at the intersection of 3 (Dancing Girl Press, 2014). Wetherington currently teaches in Sierra Nevada College's undergraduate English and low-residency MFA programs, and she's also the co-founder and editor of an online audio publication website, http://www.textsound.org.
This event is sponsored by the LTCC Writers' Series and Poets & Writers, Inc., through a grant from the James Irvine Foundation. The LTCC Writers' Series is committed to providing a cultural outlet for its students and the community by offering free readings, discussions, craft talks and workshops with nationally known award-winning authors, as well as poetry slams, open mic nights and student readings. Over the past 14 years, LTCC has hosted nationally-acclaimed poets and writers such as Brian Turner, Denise Duhamel, Luis Rodriguez, H.L. Hix, Sholeh Wolpé, Chris Abani, Dorianne Laux, Francisco Jimenez, Juan Felipe Herrera, Nathalie Handal, Tracy Ross and Lama Marut. For more information, contact LTCC Writers' Series coordinator Suzanne Roberts at email@example.com.
Trending In: Local
- Local philanthropist ups donation to Whittell High School
- Lake Tahoe students walk out for safer schools; district discusses security upgrades
- Driving in snow: 10 tips for safely navigating winter roads at Lake Tahoe
- Gaming lounge opens in South Lake Tahoe
- Glenbrook home on Lake Tahoe East Shore sells for $13 million
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3 feet of snow at some ski resorts; another 1-3 feet of snow possible
- UPDATE: Traffic on US 50 moving once again
- Lake Tahoe weather: Storm could bring 4 feet of snow to Sierra mountains
- UPDATE: Crystal Bay, Third Creek avalanche alert upgraded to stage 2
- Bagel shop opens inside Blue Angel Café in South Lake Tahoe