New Catholic academy canceled in South Lake Tahoe
August 20, 2014
It seems South Lake Tahoe will not be getting a new Catholic school after all this year.
In July, it was announced that the new Lake Tahoe Catholic Academy would replace the defunct Saint Theresa School, which closed its doors in June.
However, the academy has now reported that it will not open this fall as hoped.
"Saint Theresa's taught our children to have integrity and work hard and not to quit when you were tired, or frustrated," said Allison Monroe, LTCA president and member of the private school's board. "We feel that we have done that for nearly two months, unfortunately it still wasn't enough."
After St. Theresa closed, Catholic community members came together to plan a new private school in the same location. The Lake Tahoe Catholic Academy received "phenomenal support," but ultimately was not able to reach its goal due to "increasing costs and concerns around long-term viability," according to an announcement.
"We have promised ourselves that we will remain positive and proud of what our school was and what we tried to be," Monroe said.
Trending In: Local
- Lake Tahoe roads: Slide causes traffic hold on US 50; I-80 and Mt Rose Highway closed (updated)
- Lake Tahoe roads: I-80 closed, chain requirements in effect on highways (updated)
- Lake Tahoe weather: Rain to turn to snow today; storm warning remains in effect
- Snow or rain? Winter storm could drench Lake Tahoe
- Most chain requirements dropped around Lake Tahoe (updated)