Progress continues on Chateau project
The Chateau project remains on schedule and under construction as the snowy season arrives, officials reported.
“Enough construction has occurred this fall at break-neck speed to enable us to construct through the winter,” South Lake Tahoe attorney Lew Feldman said at a public meeting last week.
With the foundation and underground parking now in place, builders can continue construction on a $15 million portion of the Chateau project — nicknamed “the hole” — next to Harveys.
Work on the overall project restarted in August. But most recently, officials anticipate “in the very near future” to announce that retail space is 100 percent pre-leased, Feldman said.
“Appetite for commerce on this side of the street is very, very high,” he said. “And the quality of the streetscape is going to equal or exceed what we’re able to deliver at Heavenly Village.”
The second phase of the Chateau project will consist of street-level shop space and streetscape improvements near the state line. It is part of a larger $400 million venture that suffered years of setbacks.
About 19,000 square feet of the second phase of the project will be retail, and another 9,000 square feet will comprise a restaurant on the corner of Stateline and Highway 50, Mayor Tom Davis said Thursday.
Nightclubs, shopping areas and other retail are also planned for the area, according to a city of South Lake Tahoe news release earlier this year.
Additionally, Davis said the shopping hub will feature heated sidewalks to help melt accumulated snow.
Building materials for the Chateau project include natural cedar and granite, which will complement the center’s surroundings, Feldman said.
“This is really going to be a tremendous recent upgrade to the South Shore vision plan downtown experience,” he said.
The project, perhaps as expected, has already received a large and positive response, he said.
“Sometimes when we do positive things, there’s some negativity associated with them,” Feldman said. “But I haven’t encountered anybody who doesn’t think this is a good idea.”
Davis, who visits the site frequently to observe its progress, said he’s one South Lake Tahoe resident who is thrilled to see progress at the city’s infamous hole in the ground.
“We’re excited about it,” Davis said. “It’s going to be a very happy day when that fence comes down.”
Feldman said construction on the second phase of the Chateau project should be completed by next summer.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.