‘‘S’ Wonderful’ choir performance set for this weekend
April 30, 2014
A concert featuring the music of famous 20th century songwriters Cole Porter and George Gershwin will be held at Lake Tahoe Community College today, Saturday and Sunday.
The event, named "S'Wonderful" after a Cole Porter song, will feature the musical talents of Tahoe Choir and the Lake Tahoe Community College chorus, with special guest the South Lake Tahoe High School Jazz Band.
Tahoe Choir Director Linda Mitchell said Gershwin and Porter's work is "living music," and that she chose their work because it's identifiable and constantly being reinvented.
"I thought it would be good to present that music to people who are not familiar with George Gershwin or Cole Porter and see how they react to it," she said.
The concert will be held in the college's Duke Theater and begin at 7:30 p.m. today and Saturday and 2 p.m. May 4. It is about two hours long and features about 49 singers from the community and college.
"It is very much a community effort," she said. "Everybody is included. Everybody contributes. And we just make wonderful music together."
Recommended Stories For You
Many of the concert's musical numbers involve the full choir singing alongside a rhythm section, comprised of piano, drums and bass. Others arrangements involve standalone performances by the high school jazz band or a small group of singers.
Mitchell said the songs require a lot of energy from the performers, but fortunately she has an abundance of talented singers.
"This is music that really moves and people want to dance to," she said, adding. "The choir is really putting out a lot to make (the concert) as exciting as it can. And I think it's paying off."
Tickets for the event cost $10 for general admission, $8 for seniors and students with ID and children under 5 get in free. They can be purchased at the box office, from choir members, at the LTCC Bookstore or on the day of the event.
Trending In: Local
- Impact from China’s new import recycling regulations ‘negligible’ on South Shore
- Lake Tahoe students walk out for safer schools; district discusses security upgrades
- Local philanthropist ups donation to Whittell High School
- St. Joseph Community Land Trust assists in affordable housing
- Driving in snow: 10 tips for safely navigating winter roads at Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3 feet of snow at some ski resorts; another 1-3 feet of snow possible
- Bagel shop opens inside Blue Angel Café in South Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Another winter storm could bring several feet of snow in Sierra high country
- Lake Tahoe ski resorts report over 4 feet of snow in 48 hours
- Couple to get $2.5M after police called abduction by Lake Tahoe lawyer a hoax