Sexual texts sent to boy, camp cabin leader arrested
August 13, 2014
A Sonora, Calif., resident was arrested Monday on suspicion of sending sexual messages to a 14-year-old Lake Tahoe boy, who the man had met at a summer camp.
Brandon Moe, 22, had allegedly sent the teenager sexual text and Facebook messages after the boy had returned home from a camp in Tuolumne County, authorities said.
The two had met at the camp, where Moe served as a staff member and the boy's cabin leader. They continued to communicate after the boy came home, but nothing was reported until the child's mother detected that the messages had "changed from innocent to inappropriate and sexual," according to a press release from the El Dorado County Sheriff's Office.
Once the mother contacted the sheriff's office, patrol deputies out of the South Lake Tahoe station conducted an investigation. A warrant for Moe's arrest was issued Monday.
The warrant alleges that Moe violated a law that prohibits the distribution or exhibition of lewd material to a minor. He was taken into custody and booked in the El Dorado County Jail in South Lake Tahoe. Bail was set for $1 million.
"Due to the facts of this case, and the employment of the suspect as a cabin leader at an overnight youth camp, the decision was made to dispatch El Dorado County Deputy Sheriffs to respond without delay to Sonora, Tuolumne County, join with Tuolumne County Deputies, and serve both the arrest warrant and search warrant," according to the EDSO.
Recommended Stories For You
"With the assistance of the Tuolumne County Sheriff's Office this was accomplished by late afternoon on Aug. 11."
Authorities said Moe was still in jail as of about 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Trending In: Local
- Lake Tahoe Polar Plunge raises $185K for Special Olympics
- South Lake Tahoe City Council cannabis discussion moved to special meeting
- Lora Knight’s Tahoe heritage: Why Vikingsholm is one of the finest examples of Scandinavian architecture in North America
- What to look forward to in Tahoe this spring
- Impact from China’s new import recycling regulations ‘negligible’ on South Shore
- Lake Tahoe snowpack doubles in March — and more on the way
- Lake Tahoe weather: Winter storm warning, flood watch take effect Wednesday
- Kirkwood adventure includes helping buried snowboarder
- Lake Tahoe weather: Another winter storm could bring several feet of snow in Sierra high country
- Lake Tahoe ski resorts report over 1 foot of new snow in 24 hours