Sierra House Elementary celebrates new growing domes
December 15, 2014
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE — Sierra House Elementary School on Monday celebrated the recently finished installation of two 18-foot growing domes on campus, moving students one step closer to producing, eating and learning about a variety of nutritious foods first-hand.
Almost the entire student body — more than 500 children — gathered alongside parents, staff and community members for the occasion.
It was an exciting moment for those involved, given the enormous effort it took to make the domes a reality.
"As pioneers we are the first in our community to have something like this," Principal Ryan Galles said to the assembly of students. "Adults paved the way, but now it's your turn."
A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held for the growing domes, which serve as year-round greenhouses designed specifically for alpine climates. They rely solely on passive solar heating and will act as an important tool for teaching students, according to organizers.
Among other things, the domes will provide fresh organic produce and an area in which to study soil, vermiculture, aquaponics, math, science and language arts.
Recommended Stories For You
So far, almost $120,000 has been raised for the project.
Money was raised through a variety of fundraisers and donations, including a $25,000 donation from Soroptimist International of South Lake Tahoe.
Trending In: Local
- Former Scripps/Howard estate on Lake Tahoe East Shore hits market for $35 million (video)
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- Bread & Broth 4 Kids Summer Program begins in South Lake Tahoe today
- LimeBike to bring electric scooters to South Lake Tahoe
- Initiative phasing out VHRs in South Lake Tahoe residential areas heading to November ballot
- Lime electric scooters pose challenges for South Lake Tahoe law enforcement
- Guest column: A VHR owner’s perspective on what is happening in South Lake Tahoe (opinion)
- Portion of Lakeview Commons to close after wind erodes beach in South Lake Tahoe
- South Lake Tahoe police arrest suspect in possible child sexual assault
- UPDATED: One lane of eastbound I-80 now open east of Truckee