Proposed Warm Room location sparks concern among some South Lake Tahoe residents
December 13, 2017
South Lake Tahoe City Council is moving forward with negotiations for the short-term, one-time lease of a city-owned building to the Tahoe Coalition for the Homeless.
The coalition hopes to use the former Unity at the Lake Church for its seasonal homeless shelter, the Warm Room. The building is located at 1195 Rufus Allen Blvd., across from the South Lake Tahoe Recreation Complex.
At the meeting on Tuesday, Dec. 12, a number of residents from the bordering neighborhood expressed concern about the building's proximity to residencies, school bus pickups, rec center, and the Boys & Girls Club of Lake Tahoe. Coalition Executive Director Dr. Marissa Muscat proposed solutions to these concerns, such as hiring security or changing shelter hours so as not to coincide with school pickups.
Many residents also attended the meeting to speak out in support of the shelter, which averaged 27 guests per night last season.
The city has future plans to use the building for recreational purposes, so this lease would be a one-time tenancy of four months.
Muscat noted that the organization has experienced difficulty securing a location for its third season due to competition in the rental market. A long-term lease is not possible for the young organization, which only operates during the winter months.
Recommended Stories For You
Council requested the formation of a subcommittee, including members from the coalition, Lake Tahoe Unified School District and Boys & Girls Club of Lake Tahoe, to discuss and mitigate community concerns about the shelter's location.
The lease is contingent on the subcommittee coming to an agreement.
Trending In: Local
- McClintock defeats Morse for 4th District House seat
- Douglas County fires up VHR hotline; commissioners to host discussion
- Caltrans to close California Route 89 in Emerald Bay for erosion control Wednesday
- LimeBike to bring electric scooters to South Lake Tahoe
- Condo project targeting middle-class workforce coming to South Lake Tahoe
- Whole Foods, Chase Bank sites for sale in South Lake Tahoe
- Election update: Measure T still passing in South Lake Tahoe but margin shrinks
- MTV acquires SnowGlobe Music Festival (updated)
- Sierra House Elementary School classroom sustains ‘major damage’ in fire
- Lake Tahoe weather: Northern California wildfires could impact air quality in region