Top 5 web-only stories this week
1. Watch the Tribune’s On the Hill video online, which is brought to you by the Tahoe Center for Orthopedics. On the Hill host and Tahoe Daily Tribune reporter Sebastian Foltz checks out the abandoned Iron Mountain Ski Area near Kirkwood Mountain Resort.
2. Make Boursin cheese and fig jam spread with an online recipe by Tahoe-based food writer Simone Grandmain.
3. According to the Associated Press, “Environmental groups sued Thursday to force the Obama administration to impose more restrictions on oil and gas drilling, grazing and other activities blamed for the decline of greater sage grouse across the American West.”
4. Geoff Dornan of the Nevada Appeal reported that “Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval [recently] withdrew his name from the list of potential Supreme Court nominees. … Sandoval was first mentioned in a statement by Sen. Dean Heller after the death of Justice Antonin Scalia.”
5. Ken Mattson, director of Diamond Peak Ski Resort Child Ski Center, shares tips for parents who want their kids to love skiing. He said, “Snowball fights, sledding and snow angels are a great introduction to snow sports, but proper attire is crucial. Your child needs to be warm and comfortable in the snow to ensure a good experience.”